However, though some friends and family do read, the bulk of my readers are complete strangers. So then there is the other dilemma of blogging for strangers: I can't post just anything. And those are the times that I wish I blogged privately for family. It's such a Catch 22. I want to post publicly and I want to post privately!! Clearly (in Blogger) I can't have it both ways.
Thing is, I have truly enjoyed blogging over the past four years. Yes, four years! I can't believe it but my blogiversary is May 29th! I never could have imagined that blogging would become such an important part of my life. I truly love it and have met some great people and gotten great advice through the blogosphere. It has been a great outlet for me as well and I have learned so much from the single parent, adoption and Ethiopian communities. Thank you all so much! The comments are usually so supportive and often validate for me that I am doing OK as a new mom. That has been priceless.
However, since we are about to move abroad and since this is no longer really a blog about adoption, I think this may be a good point at which to either go private or to start a new (non-adoption) blog. Possibly I would continue blogging openly but without our identities known. Or maybe that's not necessary? I could just continue blogging as I do now and not worry about it. I am really not sure what to do. I have fewer than 100 readers a day and I'd say I average about three comments per post so it probably wouldn't matter one way or another, but I am curious about your thoughts on the matter. Should I start a new blog on just our lives together? Should it be public? Private? More anonymous?
Sorry, I am too busy to figure this out right now by myself. Can I enlist your help while I take a very necessary blogging break to focus all my attention on packing and other hundreds of moving details? Please tell me, dear readers, does it matter to you one way or another? Would going private impact me, or possibly you, negatively? Thanks so much for your input! You are the best!
((((hugs))))
L & N




26 comments:
After we came home I posted for a couple of months and then I got rid of my blog altogether. The people who I have met through blogs (mine and theirs) I still am in contact on facebook or emails. I think it may be time for you to go private? For one thing it will protect the identity of you and Almi. I think it is wonderful to keep it going, and turning it into a book would be amazing, but I know you write it to share your thoughts and feelings and as a public blog you cant truly do that. As one of the people who has met you (and become friends) through your blog, I really want to keep reading it, but I think it is ok to only make it available to those who you chose. :) Hugs to you both!!
Well, since I love reading your blog I would spend the future wondering what ever happened to Miss Almi and her Mama. Of course, me pondering your future doesn't affect you lol. Whatever you decided to do take me with you lol :)
I think you should keep writing your blog! It is really great and I love to read it. But this is just my selfish opinion, I know. :) I can not know what is best for you I can only say that we (your readers) would be really really happy if we could keep folowing you, private or public.
Hugs to you!
I'd support you either way. And given your uprooting- I can certainly see the reason for privacy and protection of you and your family. Who knows what life will be like in your new digs. Maybe you will find it necessary and cathartic? Maybe you will find your family and friends ONLY need it so you can keep them up to date with whats going on? Who knows? I'd support your decision either way. I've struggled with the choice myself- and then just leaving it up there makes me feel obligated to maintain it.... it's a toughy. good luck.
I say you should keep it going. Post when you can. If you go private, I get access right? I mean I did take Almi a care package and all!! =) I would love to keep in touch and hear how you both are doing. I love hearing about all the aspects of your life. We adopted, we eat the same way (most of the time), I love wine too, I am married but my man is gone 85% of the time (military) so I feel like I am single and can relate to a lot of what you are saying, etc. Whatever you do, just don't stop blogging all together. Either go private or keep it public, just don't stop all together. Who knows, maybe Mr. Right will stumble across your blog and contact you. =) Oh, and when are you spillin' the beans about where you are moving?
I found your blog because you commented on mine and I love reading it. I understand the desire to go partially private, sometimes I debate it too. With a wordpress blog you can have a public blog, but do private posts when you want to.
I have been following your blog for a couple of years. I would very much miss reading about you and Almi. Your blogs is one that I can't wait to read everyday. Selfish, I know, but I'd love to follow your blog until Almi grows old :)
There is a middle ground, one that I used for quite a while myself (but have since abandoned). If you use wordpress, you can password protect some posts but not others.
In any case, if you're public, I'll still be reading! But if you stop writing, I get that, too.
Bon Voyage!
Struggle with the same, but obviously for not all of the same reasons. Would be disappointed to not read up on your goings-on, but understand the desire to stop altogether or go private. Best of luck to you if this happens to be your last post!!
I would also really miss reading your blog. I've been following you since you started and I would hate to "lose touch" with you and Almi. I'm so curious to see what great tings are in store for you gals living your new life abroad. So please keep posting and keep it open.
I struggle as well :-( but I would miss reading about you and Almi!
We would miss you and Almi as well, but I can understand your concerns; especially as someone who totally stopped blogging after we came home. I guess things just got in the way, but I definitely miss the blogosphere, and the friends I made while blogging. Sometimes I think of starting up again. Who knows! Whichever you choose, I hope we can continue to follow. Best wishes in your new journey abroad!
I'm hoping to adopt as a single mom and have learned a lot from your blog. Your candor and humor are refreshing. While I'd certainly respect a decision to go private, please know that your updates/insights would be missed.
I have actually never read a blog til I stumbled upon yours;-)! I feel that I have gotten to know both of you a little bit, admire your honesty, and would miss both of you and your entries. And, I have to admit, that reading the blog makes me quite nostalgic for when my 13 year old daughter (born in China)was a toddler. That being said, I wsh you both the best and rsepect any decision that you may make!
I can definately respect and appreciate your need to maybe do something different with your blog. Your story is one that I began following 3 years ago that helped me to realize that adopting on my own can be a reality. So excited for you about the new adventures that are on the horizon. What a privilage to be able to continue to follow your story but ultimately, you'll no doubt do what makes the most sense for you. (though my vote is to keep blogging for your faithful followers :)
Congratulations on taking your next step of faith!
With the new move and all the exciting places you and Almi will be exploring, when will you have time to sit still long enough to blog? I would LOVE to see you continue your blog as Almi's new adventure starts; however, I respect that thing call, "me-time" that may interfere with your desires to keep us in your life-loop. What ever you choose, I'll support...just find a way to keep us posted via e-mail or snail mail once the move happens. . . heck, I might want to come visit you in your new lands!!!
Miss You Already!
I am in the process of adopting from China, and have been following your blog since before you adopted Almi. I love hearing about how things are going and how Almi is growing and learning. I would miss your blog so much! :( That said, you have to do what feels right for you of course. And my advice is to choose public or private blog and not try to mix both. I find it frustrating when bloggers make some but not all of their posts private. That's my two cents. Finally, I would love to follow along your journey if you continue blogging publicly or privately! Wishing you and Almi all the best in your upcoming move!!!
I know a lot of bloggers who have public blogs but use made up names so that they can keep some measure of privacy, and don't link to their blogs on FB or other places where they use their real names. That might be an option, but if you do that please make sure to post pictures frequently - at this point I can't keep track of everyone's blog pseudonyms and sometimes I forget who I am reading about if I don't see pictures!
Hi :) My name is Asiaha. I'm from VA and this is my first time commenting. I just recently started reading your blog. I've seen people move their blog into wordpress and making certain post private and the rest public. I hope you continue writing!! :)
This is a totally selfish response but I would love to hear about the two of you from time to time. I have come to look forward to your single adoptive mom updates. Best of luck in whatever you decide. Tonya
I came across your blog a year ago, while in the process of adopting my second child. My kids are age 3 and 1, and I really relate to some of your posts. I would very much miss hearing about your triumphs and struggles as a single adoptive parent if you stopped blogging. If you take the blog private, I would love to follow along. Shari
Please keep posting. You are funny and real and that's hard to find in a blog.
I've enjoyed reading about your process and would be sad to see you go. Ultimately you have to do what's best for you. I wish you much success and happiness in whatever you decide. :)
I understand your thoughts about all of this. As a new follower of your blog I really do hope I'll get to follow you on your journey to where ever it is you are going. I love reading about the lives of other moms who are so dedicated to their children. It's so great to find new ideas, recipes and projects. And also to just know that there are other moms go through the same things I do with my boys.
Good luck with whatever you decide. And best wishes for both of your futures if I don't get to follow along (and I will totally understand if you do go privet and I don't get to follow). I hope your move will be all that you are hoping for and more.
-Jen-
I love reading your blog. Our daughters, both from Ethiopia, are very close in age so I enjoy hearing about the joys and trials we both share. I am so curious about where you are going for work. I am in awe of single mothers and just want to say, you are amazing! Happy Mother's Day
L. Galloway
I too understand your concerns but hope you keep writing. Plus what would I look forward to reading each day with my morning coffee. I adopted my then 2 year old son just a couple of months after you did so it was great following your story which helped me know what was to come in the process. Now it's good just reading about how your two are coming along which seems to be great (although we know it can be challenging at times in more ways than one).
It's good to see that you will have some more help where you are moving to. I found this out about 4 months ago when I "bit the bullet" and decided to pay for the help since I didn't have family close and no long time friends (you feel more comforable imposing on long-term friends & I have only lived where I live less than 1 year before my son's arrival).
However, whatever you decide to do with your blog, I hope that you fill us in on where you are moving to. Sounds like it will be a great experience for you and Almi (as long as you don't drink the water). I hope your preparations for your move are not becoming to taxing. But I guess that's a crazy response from me because everyday can be a little taxing as a single mom ;-)
Post a Comment