5.29.2011

Weekly Menu

After breaking out in a rash on my arms last week, I have tried to eat more home cooked meals, do some restorative deep breathing and take some time for some fun amidst all the chaos and stress that is my life right now. All this stress is taking a toll on my physically, not to mention I am gaining weight! The rash is still there but it seems to be clearing up. I'm just grateful it was contained to one area and not terribly obvious. What a wake up call.

We went to the Farmer's Market again today. I think we will go every weekend until I leave. Aside from the wonderful produce, I like chatting with the farmers and I always run into someone I know! This trip we picked up two heads of lettuce, some mint, a loaf of sourdough, a banana muffin (we ate it there), and 4 Snickerdoodles. I also bought some iced tea and a grass-fed burger for lunch. I plan to make some tea with the mint and eat salad every meal until I use up all the lettuce. I may make some croutons out of some of the sourdough.

Menu:
1. Monday is a holiday so we may go to a BBQ or we'll eat leftovers and fruit
2. Salad and spaghetti
3. Salad and hamburgers on the George Foreman
4. Tunafish salad
5. Salad and veggie burgers on the GF grill

We went to a BBQ on Saturday night and I had so much fun. I hardly get out anymore and miss it! I told the hostess that I'd love to come but I didn't have a sitter. She told me to come and bring Almi so I did. I kept her out a bit too late but I needed some time with friends and my miniature social butterfly had a great time. Here are a couple of pics from the night.

Man, do I miss going out!! I kind of forgot how much fun it is (ok, not really). It was just really great to spend time with friends I have known for such a long time. I am going to miss them! And it was really nice to hear what kind things people were saying about me and my daughter! Compliments about Almi included:

She is so independent
She is so mature
She is so adorable

The things said to me were a bit overwhelming. I felt like I was at my wedding or something the way people were being so complimentary. I don't know why I am posting them but I guess I don't hear such nice things very often. It's amazing how far kind words can go in making someone's day. Those wonderful people were saying sweet things like:

You are beautiful
You have a great body
(I mention these because I have felt anything but beautiful and in good shape lately. In fact, I have spent a lot of time lately focusing on my shortcomings and flaws. They were really nice to hear even if they were said to question why I don't have a man. LOL But seriously, it was nice to hear them from women because coming from a man you kind of roll your eyes and wonder what their motives are; coming from females they just seem sincere. And yeah, why don't I have a man?! Who knows! I think he is across the ocean waiting for me to arrive. But I digress. Back to the compliments).
Then one friend went on to say that she was impressed by me and that she "worships me". Seriously. She said she is so full of admiration for me because I go out and do what I say I am going to do and get what I want out of life. She said each time she heard I was going after a new job or moving or buying property she was impressed. But now, she says, it's on another level with having adopted and now moving overseas.

I don't mention these things to brag or draw attention to myself. I am simply putting them down in print to remind myself that I should continue striving to live the life I want to live, to go for the goals I have set, to be proud of what I have accomplished thus far and to look at my future as being positive and bright. I have a decent amount of self esteem and confidence in my decisions, but honestly it really felt good to not only have the compliments heaped upon me last night but to have the decisions I have made affirmed by people whose opinions matter. Hearing that they are impressed with what we are doing has given me the extra push I so desperately need right now to look at this overwhelming and stressful time in the most positive of ways. We are down to the final stretch of this move and I still have an incredible amount of things to do in a very, very short time. I know there is a beautiful, bright light at the end of this tunnel but right now I can't see it. I know it's there so that is keeping me going but the details are heaped so high that it is blocked. June is going to be really, really crazy busy with the school year ending and Almi's birthday along with me needing to wrap up some very important details like her readoption, getting the house rented and getting our stuff shipped. I know I can do it, but all positive thoughts are welcomed!

Ok, I must get back to work! I hope you are having a wonderful holiday weekend.

3 comments:

Eihpets said...

You do look great! And it's important to take all those good comments in and enjoy them. You deserve it! Also, congrats on 4 years, you've been inspiring me on my adoption journey and my meager attempts to live a healthier lifestyle too. Thank you for putting it out there!

Single PAP said...

oh thanks, stephanie! so nice to hear!

Anonymous said...

so cyber-sistah-girl, you're packing and making that move---GOOD for you for staying the course of NEW BEGINNINGS!!!!

Take all the comments, hug them and wear them!

Jebena (again, I'm signing in as Anonymous because using other people's computers while at Starbucks is the "in" thing to do...LOL).