5.22.2011

Weekly Menu and Updates

We are so overdue for menu planning. Things are so hectic over here that I have resorted to pizza from the local pizzeria far too often. At $6 for a small with a topping, it is quite the easy choice when I am feeling lazy but the result is we both are feeling like crap.

Almi stayed overnight on Friday night with one of my colleagues so I could prepare for and run the yard sale without her getting underfoot. She had never met her before but when I told her she was going to go play with her doggie and go to the park she was totally fine with it. When I told her she was going to sleep there she said, "No! I want sleep Mommy's bed!" but when the time came for her to get in my friend's car, she said "Bye Mommy" and hopped in her car. I love that she doesn't have separation anxiety but of course as an adoptive parent it worries me that she has some sort of attachment issues. What kind of toddler does that? Or maybe she's securely attached knowing she'll see me in the morning and is just social and loves the diversion.

She stayed over night there and then another friend took her after the yard sale for a couple of hours. Between the random foods with them and my lax behavior regarding meals we are both suffering from the results. She is congested and sneezing and super duper energetic and I am sore and tired and have inflammation and headaches. (Ugh- hot dogs, soda and Dorit0s. What am I thinking?!) The stress of everything is surely factoring in as well so I need to do my part and have us eating and sleeping properly. Would you look at that nose? I knew she was awake this morning because the first thing she said was, "Mommy! My nose running!" Poor thing. Thankfully, our new hot water heater was installed yesterday. One good nose blowing and hot bath later and she looked as good as new. Now back to healing her (and me) on the inside. Today we paid a visit to our local Farmer's Market. We shared a Goldrush apple. Have you tasted that variety? I had never heard of it. Very crisp and a tad tart, just the way I like 'em. We also each had a blueberry muffin sold by a local elementary school raising money for their trip to Quebec. They were yummy!! We were going to share one but I had to buy one for myself. After the last delicious morsel was consumed I reminded myself I was really there to buy some local, organic produce and meats from local farmers. Here is what I picked up:

Yes, that small, young pastured chicken cost over $15.00! So expensive, but I made some chicken last week and neither of us liked it. I am curious to see if this one tastes better, not to mention eating factory-produced chickens grosses me out if I think about it too long. I will compensate by eating less or skipping meals when I am not hungry. I think eating when she is eating if I am not hungry is totally unnecessary and I recall when I was eating real foods and no grains I wasn't hungry as often anyways. Gonna try to get back to that.

Menu plan

I love salads and Almi likes them too so they are being featured in our menu this week.

Baked chicken (bbq? curried?) and veggies
Baked fish , yams and salad
B.A.S. (salad) -- Check out Mark's Daily Apple for salad ideas
Pan-fried grass fed beef strips and leftover yams
B.A.S. and leftovers

And the yard sale? I made $262. Not bad. It's $261 more than I made at my last yard sale, and this is without selling any furniture and with not hanging up any signs until the about 11:00! I may decide that it's easier to just go ahead and rent my house furnished which would mean I wouldn't have to worry about selling furniture and it would keep us comfortable until our departure. We'll see. So much to think about!!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I buy a whole "happily raised" chicken once a month and almost always make this recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/255784/perfect-roast-chicken It is delish!

I usually carve the chicken up right away, put enough aside for a couple meals (to eat along with roasted veggies) and then pop the rest in the freezer. Then, throughout the month, I use the leftovers in soup, casseroles or salads. Sometimes I even make stock with the bones. I usually get 15-20 small servings from one bird! Not bad.

Single PAP said...

Thanks for the recipe! We will try it!

I's mom said...

Wow. You mentioned Almi eats salad, veggies and all. I remeber when she wasn't a big fan of them. How did you persuade her to eat them and like them? I still struggle with the issue with my little one - but partly because I don't force the issue because I don't want him to have food issues.

Single PAP said...

actually, i's mom, she ate them when she first came home, too. she would eat anything. remember, my kiddo has an issue with eating too much so i don't have to try hard to get her to try stuff and to finish her meals. she almost always cleans her plate no matter what the meal is.

that said, here are some things i have done. not sure which one helped, if any, cause i am no means any kind of expert:

1.put all types of food on plate at once, including dessert. so no food had a higher value than the other didn't really work for us since she ate the sweets first and may leave healthier stuff but i hear this works if you keep it up)

2. tell her she has to eat three bites of every new food: one to taste, one to be sure and one to be polite to the chef. often after three bites of something she realizes she likes it and eats it all.

3. no dessert til you eat all the food

4. no seconds on carbs/sweets unitl you eat all the food

5. whatever you don't eat at one meal is still served at the next so you may as well eat it at the meal it's served

6. she doesn't have to eat what is served for dinner but there are no alternatives

I have tried all of these tactics. i have stuck with #s 2,3,4, and 6. the most important one i think is #6. there are no alternatives. if the dinner is fish and salad, that's what you get. no alternatives like pb&j, chicken nuggets or mac&cheese. oh, and i don't serve "kid" meals. she eats what i eat all the time. if she doesn't want it she can wait til the next meal.

oh, and i prepare things different ways all the time. for example, i know she hates scrambled eggs, tolerates omemlettes and likes fried eggs. i think exposure to different ways of preparation, different sauces, different spices, temperatures and presentation is helpful, too.

good luck!