12.13.2009

Her Eyes

Have you ever experienced something so unbelievable that you had to pinch yourself to believe it was real? For some reason, I have been having a lot of those moments lately. The day before Thanksgiving I had one of those moments. I experienced something so fulfilling and so heartwarming, yet at the same time so surreal. And it was incredible.

When I was volunteering in Ethiopia I connected with many of the children, but there was one little girl in particular with whom I bonded very strongly. She was a toddler, a few months shy of two, and bonding with her was something you wouldn't expect. To begin with, as you can imagine, there was a language barrier. She spoke Amharic, I English, so we were not able to exchange words. In addition, there were few toys in the orphanage so we weren't able to play together. Instead, I would dress her, do her hair or sit with her while she ate her food. I would smile at her and give her kisses and hugs. Sometimes we would just sit together on the stoop and look out into the courtyard. Most of the time she would sit on my lap and we would play hand games and communicate with each other with our eyes and our smiles. I spent many, many hours looking into the eyes of this little girl.

After a couple of weeks we had truly bonded. When I would go onto the Wanna House compound (where the babies and toddlers lived) she would come running over to me with a huge smile and I would sweep her up into my arms and cover her with kisses. Man, I loved that little girl. If she hadn't already been matched with a family I would have brought her home. I knew she had bonded with me, too, when she would start to cry when I had to leave for the day. Here are a couple of photos of us hanging out together in the orphanage.

The last day I was in Ethiopia I went to spend some one on one time with R. She was sleepy as it was her naptime but the caregivers knew I was leaving and they didn't say anything. She sat with me as I tried not to cry.

I knew I was going to miss her so much and not knowing where she was going or how was she was going to be with her new family was very, very difficult. I don't know if she understood what was happening or she was just tired, but her reaction that last day made it much more difficult. I gave her one last kiss and put her down in her crib and walked away. I never thought I'd see her again.

When I got back to the States, I thought about R. a lot. I often wondered how she was doing and if she was happy with her new family. Sometimes I literally ached thinking about it, I missed her so much. After a few months I posted about her on my blog and to my amazement I got this comment:

"Oh my gosh- I just stumbled across your blog and you are holding my daughter at Wanna!!!! She's a real cutie, isn't she :) We brought home R. and her brother M. in September. I would love to know if you have any more pictures of the kids, so please email me if you're willing to share. Thank you!"

It was R's mother! At first I was worried that she would be mad that I had posted a photo of her daughter but also so excited!! I could find out where she was living and how she was doing. Well, she wasn't mad and we sent a few emails back and forth, I sent her the photos I had of R. and best part of all I found out she had a blog! It was so wonderful to know that I could now see her daughter growing up by a click of the mouse. I thought it couldn't get any better than that.

Well, let me tell you, it got better than that! A few weeks ago I got an email from R's mother saying the whole family was going to be in DC for Thanksgiving and did I want to join them for dinner! Did I?! I couldn't believe my good fortune. I was so overwhelmed that they would contact me and extend the invitation and I was so excited! We met at an Ethiopian restaurant for dinner and I found myself staring into the eyes of that same little girl. The same little girl who I now know is happy and healthy and thriving and loved. It was such a joy. I felt like my heart would burst. Little R, now 3, is just as delightful and sweet as I remembered her and I honestly feel that once she looked into my eyes that she remembered me, too. It was such a special evening.

one of the most joyful moments I have had in a long, long time

planting a kiss on her cheek once again!

24 comments:

Robynhood said...

I love this story!! See it just goes to show you how mystical the universe is... I am so glad that you got to see her again and can follow her as she grows up on her family's blog!! Makes me smile from ear to ear :)

Mama of 5 said...

Oh! I'm just a bawling mess now. How lovely for both of you. I appreciate all the love, kisses and hugs you gave to our sweet daughter too. I know it has helped to shape who she is today. If you are ever in the Seattle area we would love to meet you.

one + one said...

i have goosebumps! what a beautiful story.

Shauna said...

okay... this made me tear up a little. I'm so happy that you were able to reconnect. that is rare and so special.

Anonymous said...

What a great story!! Truly amazing!

Chrissy said...

What a GREAT STORY!!! I may print this one off so that I can read it when I am feeling sad and discouraged!! Thanks for sharing!

Adopting1Soon said...

Awesome story! What a small world. I can't help but think you are meant to be in her life in an important way.

Brenda said...

Amazing. What a blessing that you are able to watch her grow. Truly one of God's miracles.

Ranavan said...

Oh I love this story and now I am all teary!

InventingLiz said...

How wonderful! I hope you're able to stay in her life for many years to come!

Anonymous said...

I've been sitting here trying to figure out what to write...I have a lump in my throat thinking about how hard it must have been for you to leave R. I miss her when she goes to bed at night; I can't even begin to imagine how much I'd grieve if I had to leave her not knowing if I'd ever see her again. I'm glad that we found each other so you didn't have to wonder what happened to her anymore. She's an incredible little girl and your post is just a reminder of how lucky I am to be her mother.

Bennett said...

wow that story made me cry!!! I am such a cry baby. So sweet, what a full circle moment for you!!

Celeste

veggiemom said...

What an awesome story! I have warm, fuzzy goosebumps!

Jebena said...

...divine journeys and appointments like this one just confirms that you are going to be one AWESOME Mommy!

...thank you for the tears and goosebumps, I needed them today!

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a beautiful story.
It shows that GOD always has a reason for every season.
Enjoy your Holiday Season.

Sen

Tami said...

love that story!

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful story - so glad you got to see her again.

Barbara said...

Thanks for sharing that. What a wonderful story.

Shelby said...

Love this SO much, I actually have chills. Beautiful, beautiful story. I'm so glad you were reunited!

pat2006 said...

O.K., I'll crying over her. what a sweet story!

Angela said...

Oh muy Gosh.. I'm all choked up. What an amazing life experience. I hope you're able to remain in her life and watch her grow.

Sheridan said...

what a wonderful outcome! i can only imagine how wonderful it must have been to be able to give that little girl a big hug and kiss once again!
x

kn said...

I tried to comment when i first read this but it didn't take. this was amazing to read! thank you so much for sharing it. life is truly spectacular isn't it? there was a baby in my life 20 years ago when i volunteered at a shelter for teenage mothers and i've thought of him often and wonder how his life turned out. how beautiful that you found her and she you! This story made my week.

I'm happy i know you (ya know through the blog at least) you're going to be a wonderful mom.

QB said...

Because I know R, and her mom, R, this post made me cry. I'm so happy you got to see her again. I come to leave a comment, and see Kristine above me, who's moving blog posts often make me cry. So I'm not surprised to see that she really appreciates your writing. I can't wait to come back and read more.