Ok, I gotta be honest here. I never understood when adoptive parents say they fell in love with a referral photo. I understand how they (we) can be overjoyed, conflicted, thrilled, saddened, excited, overwhelmed, anxious, curious, reflective, peaceful, worried, and a whole host of other feelings when they open the referral photo for the first time, but love? I'm not so sure.
When I opened my referral photos I was overcome with emotion. She is a beautiful baby and looking at her photos brought up a mixture of feelings. Tears sprung to my eyes because I was overjoyed at the thought of finally becoming a mother and because I was profoundly saddened by the thought that this sweet little thing had a family who was unable to care for her, but not because I was in love.
Over the past few weeks my feelings for this little girl have grown considerably. Though I am consciously trying to not become attached (5% of referrals fall through and even if I do get the opportunity to adopt this child who knows how many more weeks or months I will have to wait) I do find myself longing to hold, protect, teach and nurture her. I worry about her development, her health, her happiness. I email my agency begging for updates and scour the agency yahoo group photo albums for more pictures of her.
I have been fortunate. I have gotten some updates from both my agency and traveling adoptive parents, and I have received updated photos and even video clips of her. She looks healthy and well cared for which calms me and makes me happy. I want the best for her, of course, but at the same time I want the best for all the children in the care center. This child has been chosen for me and I am honored to have the opportunity to raise her and I will love her unconditionally but I could have just as easily been matched with another child and I would have loved that child as well. Without attachment and devotion and interaction can one really feel love? I know that I stare at her photos and see that she wrinkles up her brow like I do and has an adorable button nose like my sister. I find similarities in her personality as well when I read the comments on her temperament. I already feel like she is a part of my family and I am dying to meet her but is it love? I know I love the idea of being connected to a culturally rich country with warm, humble people. I love the idea of becoming a mother and getting the opportunity to nurture a child. I love the idea of my house being filled with laughter. I love the idea of my parents seeing me as a mother. I love the opportunity to create memories and traditions. I love her bright eyes and curly hair. And I love that, God willing, she will one day become my daughter.
But do I love her now? Right at this moment, before we've even met? It's hard to say.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




7 comments:
Well said...
See, that's why I love your blog. You keep it upfront and real about yours (oh but how I chuckle at the "kind words only please:)" part).
Now, as for me and my few pennies of thoughts (this coming from one who keeps her heart guarded at all times), I think for some, although they don't experience this flood gate of love, love does exist in your heart much like a tiny bud and slowly, with each thought, with each day staring at the clock and wondering "when", with each glance of a child's face and then thinking about your child, that deep, protective, will-do-whatever-is-necessary-to-make-it-all-better kind of love opens up full bloom.
It's there. The love you question is there--It showing up in your blogs (smiling and chuckling).
*Keep the real feelings real*
When we got our referral we thought M and R were the most beautiful children we had ever seen (well, we still think that!) but I can't say that we were truly in love with our kids the way some people describe the moment they see their child's picture for the first time.
We had videos and letters and hundreds of pictures of them that we used to over-analyze their every last facial feature and expression. When we met them we realized we didn't really know them at all. After all of those months we spent trying to figure out who they were through these images, it turned out that they were totally different people than we expected. And loving them took more time than we expected.
It's complicated. You're rational and honest and I like that.
I don't think you can really "love" a photo and in my case, I didn't really fall in love with my daughter upon first sight either. It has taken time for me to fully fall in love with her. At least that is my experience.
I totally agree and even blogged about this very topic after I got my referral. How can one love a piece of paper? One might love the IDEA of a daughter, but a piece of paper?? I had doubts about the a-parents who were "head over heels in love" with their referral photos....
True love takes time to develop, I think. And that's ok.
What a nice truthful post.
I agree with you and the other posters.
I don't think that you fall in love with a photo but the idea of becoming a Mom. I bet if you take a poll from mothers; you would find out that many didn't fall in love when they first met their child either by adoption or birth.
I truly believe that love comes with time, faith and getting to know a person; like any other relationship. However; many people won't write a post about it because they may be ashame or afraid of their feelings. That's my two cents.
Sen
BTW: how are your donations coming?
CONGRATS on your referral! How awesome is that!!
(I have a personal question for you....if you get a chance could you email me through my profile?)
Post a Comment