12.31.2009

C'mon 2010!

I had high expectations for 2009. 2008 had been challenging (you can read about it here and here and here) but I was sure 2009 was going to be my year --I was sure I would finally get to meet my daughter!!

There was movement in my adoption process this year-- my 171-H arrived, I got waitlisted and I eventually got the referral of a beautiful little girl-- but meeting her will have to wait until 2010. Other than the adoption, I didn't have a particularly eventful year. Sure there were some high moments. It started out great with the inauguration of our new president. Gosh, we were all so full of hope, weren't we? I took two very short weekend trips-- one to Nags Head and one to LA. I also made some new friends, reconnected with ones from my past, joined a choir, spent time with family, got rid of a lot of clutter, learned about and embraced thrifting and pursued my creative endeavors. Heck, I was even celibate... if you can call that a highlight! All of those things brought happiness or satisfaction on some level. 2009 also had it's low points, though, including all the toads I dated, nagging injuries that led me to becoming fatter and flabbier than ever, and of course not being able to bring my daughter home. To say that I am ready for 2010 is quite the understatement!

Is anyone making resolutions this year? I'm not fond of the failure that often comes along with them, but I love how they make me feel like anything is possible. I was reading about resolutions on Christine Kane's blog. Man, I love her blog. She is so full of wisdom! She talks about how one should choose just one word and use that word to guide you-- to set intention for the year. She bases it on the DO-HAVE-BE model. Basically, instead of focusing on the the 'DO' (i.e. lose weight) to 'HAVE' self-esteem to 'BE' confident she says to focus on the 'BE' instead of the 'DO'. So if confidence is really what you want, than strive for that. She states it much more articulately. You can read her words here. I am going to try that this year --choose one word to 'BE' this year. Her list of words is very long and there are many, many things I want in my life including:

Presence
Grace
Health
Civility
Discipline
Abundance
Simplicity
Gratitude
Trust
Patience

Each would be incredibly beneficial but I was able to narrow it down fairly quickly; however, I find it quite a challenge to narrow it down to only one. This last step, the choosing of one word to be my beacon for an entire year is taking some serious reflection and self-analysis. I have spent the last several days meditating and journaling about what was missing from 2009 and on what I want my focus to be for 2010.

Whatever word I choose, I am looking forward to seeing how it guides, enriches and transforms my goals. Happy New Year Everyone! I hope 2010 brings you lots of growth, knowledge and joy!

5 comments:

Brenda said...

2010 is your year!!! You are going to be a mother soon. Wishing you love, peace, joy and happiness.

Monica Lidya's Mom said...

I love the idea of focusing on a word, or two or three. For me it's going to be discipline and simplicity.

I know that 2010 is going to be a great year for you! Happy New Year!

Barbara said...

Hurrah for 2010! this will be your year.

Adopting1Soon said...

I've been percolating an idea focused on one word too.... I haven't journaled about it, but it's like an itch that keeps coming back. I need to develop it more. Once it's fleshed out, I'll blog about it.

InventingLiz said...

My word for 2010 is BUILD - as in, keep building on everything I started creating in 2009.

Best wishes to you for 2010, hope you are snuggling with your daughter soon!