11.23.2009

Thank You Party

There is no way I could have lasted throughout this whole process without the support of my friends and family. I have leaned on them in so many ways, so many times, and they have been there for me...for over two years! They have lifted me up with encouraging words, they have listened to when I bitched and moaned lamented and allowed me to cry on their shoulder. They have given donations, spent time at my yard sale, wrote letters, sent me books and cards, gave me bits of wisdom and advice... and most of all encouragement and prayer. It has been a challenging 2+ years and I am so grateful for all of them.

To thank them, I threw a little party in their honor. It turned out so nice! Everyone mingled and enjoyed chatting over the mulled cider--my winter specialty drink! I got several similar comments that evening: One was how nice my home looked which is so nice to hear cause I have a love/hate relationship with this money pit - lol. Another comment was how relaxed and happy I seemed. This really meant a lot to me as well as I have not felt relaxed nor happy very often lately. I am usually too stressed out to feel that way, but on Saturday night I really felt happier than I have in a very long time. Being surrounded by loving, caring people who only want the best for me and knowing in my heart that I will soon be a mother to a beautiful Ethiopian girl bring me a lot of joy.

Towards the end of the night I asked for everyone's attention and we all gathered in my kitchen. I went around the room, introduced all the guests, and shared how they had come into my life. Some of my friends I have known for decades and others a relatively short time, but each guest was supportive at some point, in their own way, and I really wanted them all to know how very much appreciated they all are. After going around the room and sharing how each person contributed to the process I dropped the news that I had gotten a referral. The room erupted into cheers! What a memorable evening.










6 comments:

Jebena said...

In the words of my Mother, "You are going to be such a WONDERFUL Mom."



PS--->>>Hey, I spy Tami!!!

InventingLiz said...

What a great way to thank your friends - and to make your big announcement!

Adopting1Soon said...

Wow, that's such a nice idea to thank everyone!

And you do look beautiful, you've got that "pregnancy" glow about you ;-) I'm sure that's what everyone was noticing. It's the inner joy of impending motherhood coming out.

PS Hi Tami! you look great too!

kn said...

this is one of the nicest posts i have read anywhere! How wonderful! Your daughter is coming home to such a beautiful group of family and friends.

hazel said...

What a great party.

And you and Tami look so gorgeous!

Chrissy said...

That was such a great idea!! I am totally going to steal it :-)
You will be an AWESOME MOM!! And you are so close to uniting with your baby!!!

As for me...I don't "expect" to get a referral until at least July....but as you know it is a ROLLERCOASTER!!!