Well, I beg to differ. To be fair, I thought they were right even though I hated to admit that. And before I realized a way out of this, I admit a lot of time was spent trying to think of a way to house them so I wouldn't have to see these eyesores on a daily basis. I researched wooden toy boxes, bins, hanging nets and baskets. I also spent hours trying to figure out which room would be best for a playroom where I could just shut the door and pretend they didn't exist.
But then it hit me! Just don't buy any! What a wonderful solution! I mean, seriously, I don't have to have toys in my house that are going to drive me crazy when there are so many that won't. I wouldn't mind a dollhouse and stuffed animals and musical instruments and wooden puzzles in my living room. That sounds charming actually. Kind of like the olden days. Downright quaint. I love it! And these types of toys, along with art supplies, sensory play activities, cooking, playing outside and reading lots and lots of books will help develop her creativity and imagination.
I suppose as she gets a little older and gets influenced by her friends and advertising she may ask for a specific toy she has seen on TV and that will be ok. I remember begging my parents for Barb!e dolls but my mom didn't think she was a good role model with her overly sexy body and clothes so Barb!e never appeared in my house. I got Raggedy Anne. Now don't get me wrong, I loved Raggedy Anne (renamed her Caroline) and I carried her everywhere but I do remember being disappointed at never receiving a Barb!e. I also remember playing at a friend's house when I was in the 5th or 6th grade and discovering she had about 20 Barb!ies (and the townhouse and sports car!) shoved in the corner of her bedroom. She clearly hadn't played with them in a while but I dying to play with them so we did and I was as happy as a clam.
I think my mom was on to something and I understand what she was trying to do... and she probably didn't want to see all the junk either! But I also know that gifts are to bring joy so I think the solution is you can ask for one thing you want. I can deal with one ugly plastic toy or one overly marketed D!isney toy in my house if that's what she really wants and I can supplement it with a bunch of other good quality, imaginative toys that will last years and years.
The other day I was at the thrift store and came across this!
$15. Looks brand new... even has the $85 price tag still attached. Not only would I not mind this in my living room but man, how cute would this look under the Xmas tree? She won't be home for Christmas this year (and I don't have a tree) so maybe I should save it for next year. What do you guys think about toys and marketing and excess? Am I being too controlling?




11 comments:
No, you are not being too controlling. We feel the same way. Our motto is "no more plastic crap made in China";) It's harder to find quality/non-toxic/educational toys and with 5 kids our house is full of lots of toys. Check out magiccabin.com they have great toys! I do have to say that keeping one or two battery operated toys can be a life saver on days when you are feeling sick:) I let them run out of batteries and then replace them for a "special" day!
Becky
Not at all! I was determined to do the same. But then people buy your kid all sorts of crap. So there is room to compromise. Jonah loves Cars from the movie. He has a tonne of them. But otherwise, it's pretty decent. All of his toys are in our living room, but all have their place. I bought a trofast three-tiered shelf from Ikea. Neutral white bins (and a couple of green ones that match my living room curtains) house all of his toys. One bin for each type and the rest are put away in a closet in the bins to be cycled in and out of service. And the crap? It gets one bin and when it starts to be ignored it is donated. And the plastic toys that I love (for when your girl is a little bigger)? Playmobil. We have loads of it. 3 bins for playmobil, one for wooden trains and tracks, one for Woody Click (which requires my help to build), one for coloring stuff and one for other games. It's a great neutral storage system that is not kiddish, and other than that, the only signs of child are the pirate ship on top of the shelf, and the log cabin dollhouse that my father carved and built for my sister and me. Beauty. Oh, and when he was little and we had other people doing the buying (it peeters out), and the stuff piled up, we made a big pile in the living room, and he had to choose 2 to keep, one to donate. If he donated something good, I put it in a bag to put away, otherwise it was donated. Got rid of a lot of junk. Because even at two or three, they know what is good and what isn't.
By the way, I love the horse. So beautiful.
I think I delurk for this but I must admit having a 7 and a five year old I chuckled. The thing is she will want it one day and other people will love her and fall for the puppyeyes and then it is there! We decioded to sacrifice our office for a playroom and the only toys in my livingroom now are cute. It is such a relief!
Mijk
I am so happy for you. I just started the process of adopting . I can't wait to get my little girl
I totally agree about the plastic toys everywhere!
Unforch, even though I don't buy them, other people do.
I got a toy chest for them.
Ugh.
Luckily, C (so far) really likes boxes and utensils more.
I'm the same way. Eli's been home for a year and we don't have plastic toys all over the place. Still. And he's 2. I mean, we have toys for him, but I focus on books. I cycle through toys. I keep all the ones we have for him, but put the majority in plastic bins in the top of his closet. That way, he's always getting 'new' toys and is easily entertained.
At least, that's how it is for now. Check back when we have baby #2 :) As of now, it's not hard to keep this up.
I swore no plastic. And my friends swore I'd cave. And I sort of did... because... they got rid of all their plastic crap by tossing it into my home! But I also swore there'd be no toys at all in my living room and I've stuck with that one. Family room yes. Bedroom yes. Living room belongs to mama. Call it a compromise.
Didn't have toys all over the place with my son and I won't later on. Children should learn how to put their toys away and that's what their rooms are for. Who wants to trip or step on a toy? They hurt like heck.
Just found your blog. Hope you don't mind me de-lurking to comment. 1) Every Christmas and birthday for my kids I have a talk with the grandparents and about what things we'd prefer the kids to have or not have. It's tough but it does help a little. 2) Plastic toys aren't the end of the world as long as they have a place to be put away where you can't see them. My 3 year old loves Polly Pockets, and there are millions of colorful plastic things. We have a basket and they are put away when we are done and it's not a big deal. One plastic thing we can't live without, play kitchen food/pots/pans etc. I thought I wanted wooden stuff because it's prettier to me, high quality, etc and gues what, the paint chips off and it's heavy to carry around for them. So, again, having storage solutions that are easy to remember for you guys and look visually appealing is the answer. We haven't had horrible luck at birthday parties, but I anticipate making a "books only" or "art supplies only" requests so we don't get inundated with crap toys. 3) your perfect house is at some point going to be disrepected by a sweet kid that doesn't know better. that pretty horse, one day she might decide "we are going to play animal hospital" and find a red marker to give it a wound. she won't know it doesn't come off. you will hate looking at the red mark on it's neck for the next 5 years. kids making things less pretty is unavoidable. the point is deciding when to not cry over spilled milk, you know? Good luck!
This made me laugh out loud! Fear not you will have complete control until she's about um...4 then the birthday parties start and you will not believe some of the stuff you will get. It will be a LOT of stuff. But you'll soften a little bit (i think) because she really will play with some of it in very creative ways. After a couple of weeks you can slowly get rid of the stuff she doesn't do much with. Your local woman's shelter, hospital or library is happy to take these toys. She's going to want to play in every room of your home just to be near you. we have a rule, no toys in our bedroom other than that there are toys everywhere. So, we have places to stash them that don't look like toy boxes. in our living room is an ottoman from that is leather and looks really nice it opens up and that's where his games are stashed. We have really nice large baskets stacked in the corner, the type with lids size of large hat boxes, they look great and they are loaded with toys. It takes only a couple of minutes to clean up so that it doesn't look like a playroom. lastly i bought these great looking smallish red cloth baskets, they're square in shape. I have about six of them. his favorite toys are in them and he can bring them from room to room. again takes no time to clean up and easy to bring them back to his bedroom.
Yipee! fun stuff to think about. BTW, i've tried to post several times over the last week or so but i was on the train and it kept booting me out. Love your last few posts! thanks for writing.
I feel the same way. I don't want plastics or batteries. I stress that to others. For Christmas one Gma got her a teddy bear that does 54 activities (batteries) and the other Gma got her a laptop (made for a 6 year old but keeps her away from mine).... but we survived our first Christmas and I also keep an ottoman style toy box and pick up toys EVERY night.... Fresh start in the morning!
Post a Comment