9.28.2009

1250 hours

It's the last week of September. It's the week I qualify for FMLA. I was hired at this time last year and as of today I have worked my 1250 hours.

When I finished my dossier in June there were waiting babies. I could have gotten a referral shortly after that but it was a risk. You see, I knew I wouldn't qualify for leave until late September and I was afraid I would pass court and need to travel during the summer. I was afraid because if it all worked smoothly and I passed court on the first try I would have had my baby home but then I would have had to go back to work when the school year started back up and work all the way up until this week. I couldn't imagine interrupting our bonding like that so I asked my agency to hold my referral and try to time it so I would be traveling the first week of October.

So much for trying to time things! I should be packing this week getting ready to go but instead I am still waiting for a referral. I don't blame my agency. They have no control over when children come into care and if there are fewer in the orphanage, well that's a good thing. I just thought I would have her home for fall. I was looking forward to going to the pumpkin patch and dressing her in a Halloween costume. That's clearly not happening. I'm still hoping I get to travel by Christmas and truthfully, that works well in terms of leave. Vacation days aren't considered part of my leave so if I travel around the holidays I will get two additional weeks with her! (trying to look at the bright side...)

But, OK people! I have satisfied my end of the deal. As of today I have worked my 1250 hours and I officially qualify for leave. Now give me a reason to use it!!

9 comments:

veggiemom said...

That timing thing just never works out but I hope you're using your FMLA very soon. :-)

treneew said...

Glad to hear that you can check that off of your things-to-do list. I have been with my 8 month old daughter 2 weeks today, so I certainly empathize with you wanting to spend as much time with her as possible before you have to return to work. Wishing you have your child in your arms soon. Tonya

Adopting1Soon said...

Couple of things:
1) Got your text, sending granola bars soon.
2) I suggest giving out your 100s of small care packages out on SUNDAY, the day after you arrive. Because on Monday, once your daughter is delivered to you, all bets are off for any/all activities. PLUS, you don't want thousands of kids crowding around you and your daughter in the market place, that might scare her. love the idea of ziplock bags of love to hand out. Wish I'd thought of it!

3) Ergo is definitely the way to go. I got the one that goes up to 40 lbs and didn't have to travel with a stroller because of it (one less thing to worry about). It was great, Charlie was immediately calmed when strapped onto my back. Or front.

4) Referral timing... hmmm... what about if you picked her up in April and took FMLA off for April and May... and then ALSO HAD THE SUMMER OFF! Wouldn't THAT be great?!?!!

Angela said...

Things ultimately work out. This is great news! I'm sure you're relieved to have this behind you.

Single PAP said...

Thanks Tonya and Kerri!
A1S ~ Yay! Granola bars for kids! Thanks! I am hoping to travel to ET earlier a week before pick up to do some traveling around the country and would do it then, but thanks for the info. Didn't realize we got our babies right away. RE: FMLA - I already asked that but all my paperwork would expire and I would have to redo my dossier. Not willing to do that. In addition, with all the banning singles rumors swirling around again I am eager to get there and get her home!!

Single PAP said...

Angela, yes, glad to have it behind me!! Getting closer every day...

StefB said...

It sounds to me like everything is falling into place. Everything is in motion, and 2 lives are about to collide (in a good way!).

Stefanie

Adopting1Soon said...

Is the banning singles stuff coming up again? Oh jeez... best just get her here then, of course you are right about that.

Orange Girl said...

Consider this your first lesson in parenthood. You are no longer on your own timetable- it's all on your daughter's timetable from now on! :)
Hokey as it sounds, it really does work out in the end. I signed with my agency in November but due to personal stuff, didn't start my dossier until February. Had I started it in November, I wouldn't have received Isa's referral. Once you finally have your referral, you'll know that the extra delay was really to ensure that you were still there she was ready for you.