9.27.2009

Yard Sale try#2

If you have been reading my blog long enough you may remember the yard sale I had last year. It was a massive failure and I wasn't sure I was going to have another one but I was invited to be a part of 7-Family Yard Sale so I agreed. It wasn't at my house so I only took what I could fit into my car but it went a lot better than last year. Not only I did make more money but I also met some really cool people!

I met a woman who wanted to know more about my adoption because she and her husband are considering it for their second child. She was really nice and asked if we could exchange information. She has a four year old son and she was telling me how great her nanny share situation is, too. She said she know of several nanny share situations in the neighborhood and said she would ask around to see if anyone was interested in bringing on another child.

I also met a nice woman and her son whom she adopted domestically. She had her son in an Ergo baby carrier and it was great. He was content and her arms were free to shop and best of all she said that even though he was over 20lbs that it was extremely comfortable. I plan on doing lots of baby wearing so an Ergo it is-- especially since they can be used for a child up to 40 lbs! Must add that to my registry.

I also met another really nice woman with two cute children whom she and her husband are raising to be trilingual. She was selling a TON of baby clothes and her daughter is just a little bit older that I think my daughter will be. I know where to get my clothes from now on! She also has a couch I may buy and today she sent me her information so I could follow up with her on it and added that even if I didn't want to buy the couch that we should keep in touch because she'd like to get to know me better. It was a really cool mix of folks and many of the customers were speaking different languages and many live in my neighborhood! It was fun! It was productive!

Now the weather wasn't the best (it was gray and overcast and drizzled very lightly intermittently so that may have kept some folks away) but all in all I made about $70 this time! That's $69 more than I made last time so it was definitely more successful. Thing is though, I want to make $700 at a yard sale. I want to be able to say that I bought my daughter's plane ticket to America with the proceeds or something like that. So I will be trying again. I will be hosting yard sale #3 at the end of the month. I'm thinking the day before Halloween. I hope it's not raining or bitterly cold. It gives me time to collect more donations. I'm really going to put the word out this time and plan on setting up a staging area in my basement for all the items. I am also going to invite all my neighbors to participate so we can have a lot of families be involved. Here's hoping yard sale #3 is a resounding success!

4 comments:

veggiemom said...

Glad this yard sale was more successful than the first. Hope the next one is even more so. You'll love the ergo. It' is really a great baby carrier.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the yard sale! And FYI the Beco carrier is really comfy too and can fit front or back and can hold a toddler.

Amina's Mama said...

i had my daughter in an ergo until she was over 3 years old! seriously, i rarely used a stroller. in airports, i needed my hands free to pull the roller bag. and in nyc, it ws so much easier to get in/out of subway with her on my back rather than having to collapse a stroller. all that to say -- i'm a HUGE fan of the ergo!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the yard sale!! I used the Ergo with my little guy starting when he was a year old, and now at age four (and about 35 lbs.) he could still sit comfortably in it. I hate having my hands full with a stroller and I'd much rather have a kid on my back and another kid in the cart at the grocery store or Target. Other people think it looks funny, but I think it's so much easier. Plus, having the Ergo is a good workout for your legs :)

I should warn you, though, that Miss R just would not have the Ergo. She HATED it and would scream if I tried to put her in it for several months. I ended up buying a ring sling (the lite-on-shoulder-baby-holder or something like that), which she seemed to find cozier. The hip position is not that great in the Ergo and that was where Miss R wanted to be. Hopefully you'll get a more cooperative little lady :)

Can't wait to see that "R" post!