8.06.2010

Martha's Vineyard, Day 1

We started out early. 4:20 am early. My AAA Trip Tik said it would take 7 hrs 45 min. hours to get to Woods Hole where we would catch the ferry and we had a 4:00 pm reservation. I built in an hour for oversleeping, an hour for stops and then some extra time for traffic. It's good I did cause it took us 11 hours to get to the ferry. At the crack of dawn I put my sleeping babe in her car seat and headed to Kinko's to print out the directions (I had no ink at home and I wanted the entire Trip Tik cause it had areas to look out for construction and traffic). We finally got on the road around 5 am. She was awake from placing her in her car seat until a few minutes after we left Kinko's. But shortly thereafter I found her like this:


She slept another three hours until we stopped for breakfast in New Jersey. Overall she is a very good car traveler. She doesn't complain much, enjoys looking out the window and can entertain herself quite well. Here she is with the beach ball. :)

We needed another stop to stretch our legs so we did a little detour in CT to visit Connecticut College. I haven't been there since I graduated! It is such a lovely campus.


We checked out my freshman dorm:

Almi ran around:


and relaxed on a bench:

which apparently tired her out :)


Finally, we got close to our destination. The ride went waaaay better than expected. I didn't even have to break out the DVD player!

I was so happy to finally get on the ferry and relax!

Almi loved the ferry and kept running around the deck. My water-lover also tried to squirm out of my arms to plunge into the water. Needless to say, that would not have been relaxing.

We greeted family and checked out the house.

Then we headed to dinner at Nancy's. We love that place. It's right on the water and has great seafood. That night they also had a live calypso band playing. Almi looks annoyed here but only because she didn't want to stop and take pictures. She wanted to keep on going.

She was in a great mood that night considering she had been strapped in a car seat for all those hours. Here she is enjoying some food:

and checking out a doggie:


and dancing:

and running up and down the sidewalk:




The best part for me by far was seeing her excitement in discovering new things. Here she is seeing a seagull for the first time:


What a great first night! Man, I love this place!

3 comments:

kn said...

Oh I love this post! I used to live on Nantucket and I'm trying to go for a couple of days this summer...Ah!

I know you're going to have a great time! Hope the weather is perfect!!!!

sko3 said...

Okay, so I used to work at Conn College! So funny. And i now live only about 45 minutes from there. You passed me on your way up! Small, small world!

pat2006 said...

Oh I love this post. Motherhood so suits you and Almi is absolutely adorable.