8.22.2010

Dilemna

My new job starts tomorrow. You know, the with the inexpensive on site day care? Yeah, the one I signed up for. Well, turns out they haven't received their license yet and won't be open for another week. Or maybe two. Um, and what am I supposed to do with my daughter in the meantime? No one seems to have an answer for that.

I don't have any family in the area and none of my friends are stay at home moms. I tried to get her old day care to agree to take her back for a couple of weeks but they no longer have the space. I interviewed my friend's client, a lovely Eritrean woman in her 50s, and planned on hiring her but she balked at what I offered to pay her. I guess I could offer her more money but that would put additional financial strain on my already strained finances. My new colleague's teenage daughter offered to do Friday and I hoped she'd be able to do more but she can't. I suppose one could suggest Googling babysitters in DC and hiring a stranger, but I refuse. She is the most important thing in the world to me. I can't leave her with a stranger.


So, I have to report to work in 15 hrs and as of now I don't have childcare. This is certainly not the way I want to start a new job. I guess I have no choice but to pay the woman what she is demanding. This single parenting thing is really sucking right about now.

By the way, totally off the subject, but do you spell dilemna with an 'n' or with two m's 'dilemma' like spellcheck suggested? That looks weird to me.

**Update: I hired the woman at an additional $50/wk than what I had offered at first. That wasn't too bad considering that at first she hinted at wanting an additional $150 (although it's still going to cost me an additional $150 per week that I hadn't planned on or budgeted for). I'm very annoyed at the new daycare for not warning me about the possibility that it wouldn't open on time and having to endure unnecessary stress and spend more money but I can't deal with them now. My bigger worries are if the temporary nanny will show up on time and if she will be good to my kid. I can't wait for tomorrow to be over so I can see that my pumpkin is safe and happy. Thanks for all your suggestions.. and your input on the spelling. :) **

9 comments:

DeeAnn said...

dilemma, or should I say DILEMMA! Whoa. I'm guessing your best bet for the moment is to pay the woman. Did you need more stress? See if you can get some type of compensation from the daycare. How many other people are in the same boat as you? Could you pool resources with other parents that were planning on bringing there children tomorrow morning?

Marcie said...

it's dilemma. Two M's. And if I were in the DC area I would babysit for you! Although, I am a stranger too LOL

InventingLiz said...

Ugh! Could you offer to barter something with the woman? Does she need tutoring in English or something similar that you could provide in exchange for a lower rate? Hope you work it out!

sko3 said...

ARGH!
I have had a similar problem. New day care was just kidding when they said it started September 1. What they meant was that it was one hour a day on September 1, 2, and 3. I got lucky with my old day care. If it hadn't worked out, I would have had to go to an emergency child care organization. We have one sponsored through work. Any chance that your employer has such a thing?

Sha Zam- said...

hmmm. Totally wish I could think of something for you. My bro lives in Arlington but is actually here now- so no contacts there.. at least in the next few hours. That blows. The single stuff is tough... and tougher at every turn.

I's mom said...

wow. that's crazy. my person bailed on me but I had a week left to make amends w/ something else. Still working it out but something is in place temporarily.

You could use the lady for a few days but you could try care.com. I've used them and know friends who have used them with sucess as well. You can do background checks on all with them. I found both two babysitters and my dogsitter through there. I did do initial interviews at a coffee house and then the finalists to my house to meet little "I". They also have some who are registered as on-call meaning they will do last minute jobs. They also put there price range but I found that they are a little flexible depending on your needs.

Good luck!

Robynhood said...

Oh this new daycare is off on the wrong foot.. How many other parents have been left high and dry without childcare? Totally unacceptable if you ask me. I too think there should be some form of compensation for the fact that you have to scramble and find more expensive childcare...

Jennifer said...

Sorry you had to deal with that situation. It does suck.

I had to pick H. up at daycare friday after she fell and hit her head (the daycare didn't want the liability) and I had no choice but to bring her to work with me. That didn't go so well! I literally had no one else to call. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Hope all is working out. So really very helpful to have the good comments and suggestions from your many blogging friends. what a network tnis s! love.
m.