8.30.2010

First Day of School

Yeah, technically it's still daycare but she will be there all year and it is more academic and structured ( and less play and fewer art projects and fewer performances and fun activities... sniff). I would be happy if all they did was talk to her all day and let her play, play, play. Play in the sand and water table, play with Play Dough, play with dinosaurs and math manipulatives, play on the playground and do art and cooking and sing. That's all I want for my pumpkin. Learning the ABCs? Writing her name? At two? I am not a fan. I can do that stuff with her on my own and at the pace that I feel is developmentally and Naomi-appropriate. She's so smart I predict she is going to pick it all up and be on grade level when she enters Kindergarten. I wish she could just have fun until then. Keeping my fingers crossed that she finds what they teach her fun.

I dropped her off at 7am. She was one of the first to arrive and the last to be picked up at 5:55. They are open til 6pm but when I got there they had the lights off and their purses slung over their shoulders and were annoyed with me for arriving at that time. I think they should be playing with her and engaging with her until 6pm. They never would have done that at the old place and even though they also closed at 6, she was never the last to be picked up. They better get used to the fact that she won't be picked up til 6 two or three days a week. I'm paying til 6pm and you need to have the lights on and be attending to my child and get yourself ready to go after she walks out the door. I can't imagine what my principal would say to me if I had the lights off at 3:25 with my purse slung over my shoulder waiting for the kids to hurry up and leave my classroom. It was truly appauling. Not a good first day impression at all. But, she is right down the hall and I was able to peek in on her during my lunch time. She was sitting at her little table eating the little lunch I packed her like a big girl. I wanted to cry. She looked so sweet there, I just wanted to scoop her up and take her home. Man, I love that little girl!!!

Here are some pics from the first day of school.. taken when we got home. Getting my school stuff together and two lunches and two people dressed and her sippy cup of rice milk and her breakfast and my coffee and my water bottle and her Pull Ups and wipes and change of clothes and stuffed doggie were enough to worry about!! There is no way I could have also factored in a morning photo and still gotten to work at 7am. Getting both of us out the door is really, really challenging!!!


And saying, "hi" to all the neighborhood doggies. Of course.

7 comments:

kn said...

Adorable photos and girl!

Awful that they made her feel that you were running late! Really awful. We came up against somethings when we had Q in daycare. When we spoke up it was generally well received.

Ugh! Ugh that we parents should have to speak up to professionals that should no better!

I's mom said...

WOW! All that and you get to work by 7am. It's a task for me to make it to the office by 8am w/ the little one. Part of that is because I usually didn't make it to the office before 9-9:30am when it was just me just 4 months ago. Managed last week which was week 1. We'll see how this week goes. What motherhood does to and for you.

StefB said...

Naomi is such a beautiful girl. She really radiates joy with that smile.

I hope your daycare shapes up. I agree with everything you said from the playing to the 5:55 pickup to the frazzling mornings getting myself and a small child to school (I'm a teacher, too, and return next week. Ugh.)

Stefanie

Chrissy said...

yes the whole daycare thing is rough...I was "late" picking B up yesterday so this morning he told me to "not forget" him again..ugh! Like I don't have enough guilt!

You are doing great and getting up and at em' is tough!

Christie said...

Quint is heading to school next Tuesday, and I'm already misty-eyed...

I feel ya!

Melissa said...

Cute, cute, cute ! Just a little advice, get as much as you can done the night before(sippy cup filled and diaper bag ready).I leave my lil momma's school diaper bag in the car and just refill as needed (I keep a pack of diapers, wipes, and another outfit in the car too)

hazel said...

I would have a chat with the daycare staff about closing up 'early.' That is B.S. They need to be set straight with your expectations. There will be other parents picking up their kids at 6.

I was the last to pick up Biset on Friday (about 5:45 before the long weekend). The caregiver was reading to her as she sat in her lap. It was so sweet (but I felt really bad that she was last). She told me not to feel bad about not being there sooner. As it should be!!