6.07.2009

Crazy Busy Weekend

What a crazy, full weekend! It was a long and stressful and rainy week at work with end of the year assessments, indoor recess, preparing and practicing for our end of the year program and a conference with a parent at 3:30 on Friday afternoon! I couldn't get out of there fast enough and drove right to Adega to meet a friend for dinner. Adega is a cool, little wine cellar where you can also grab a delightful Mediterranean flat bread or a lovely seared ahi tuna salad and eggplant fries. They have a really good wine selection and the food is delish! I didn't realize this at the time but not only can you order a glass of wine off the menu but you can choose your own bottle from their selection and they will uncork it for you and serve it without an additional charge. I think it's going to be my new spot.

Saturday morning I did Race for the Cure. I'm sorry I didn't get any takers on Team Ethiopia but I did get to do the race with two good friends and my little Goddaughter. After a very rainy week, I was worrying about the weather on race day but Mother Nature was very cooperative. No rain, low humidity and 72 degrees. Couldn't ask for anything more!

The energy and emotions of the participants were running high and we got caught up in the excitement of it all! After some speeches, Leila Hathaway sang a song to start us off. It was a fun and leisurely, non- competitive walk (check out my time below! lol) We laughed and talked, screamed and cheered, met some nice people and even danced with a phenomenal all-female Brazilian drum corps. They were so incredibly amazing, they make me want to book a flight to Brazil. Seriously.



At the end of the race we proudly submitted our donations. I raised $200 in all--thanks to all who donated!! My reward for raising over $125 was an inspirational book of quotes, an insulated beach tote and a coupon for free coffee each month for a year! Sweet!























After the race I had a first date with G. We have been talking for a couple of weeks and on the phone and he seemed nice enough so I agreed to meet him for coffee. He's an officer in the Navy and kept saying he's "an officer and a gentleman". I warned him not to put himself so high on a pedestal that he couldn't live up to it (jaded? lol) but so far I would say he has been very nice and respectful. We had a nice lunch. One comment worth noting (and I'd love to hear what you think about this) was said when we were talking about my adoption. The first time I told him about it he said it was great, he loved the idea, loves kids. The next time it came up he said that when I had told him about it he was so happy for me and that it was the best news he had had all year. A few days later he brought it again. After telling me how excited he was about it again, he went on to say, "I was thinking about your adoption today at work and how soon it's going to happen and realized we better start thinking about day care." (we??) I'm not sure what to think of that comment. We hadn't met yet! He seems sweet and genuine but a bit much, no? Well, we had lunch and he's nice and not bad looking but it's hard to imagine forever with him. I know, I shouldn't be thinking that on a first date--but I do-- and I can't really picture it. I will go out with him again, though. Usually I need three dates to make a final assessment. lol

After lunch I went to meet my friend, Hattie, and three of her friends at a photo studio. Hattie had this amazing idea to have professional pictures done of the people in her life who are most supportive and add them to her vision board. One of her friends owns a photography studio so we went there after hours for the shoot. Hattie brought music and champagne and while taking pictures we talked about work and children and men and music and dating and other fun girl stuff. After the group shots, we each got individual pictures done! The owner is going to give us a CD of the pictures she took for free! Not only was it so much fun but I now have a relationship with a professional photographer who can do formal pics of my daughter! Here's a pic of me and Hattie in between wardrobe changes.

After the studio fun I had a first date with E. I know, two first dates in one day! E, for sure, is not the one. Suffice it to say he gives me the shady vibe. He is very nice and respectful, too, but something just doesn't add up and I trust my instincts. Sigh. 0 for 2.

On tap for today? Church? Maybe. Working out ? Maybe. Later I meet with the whole cast of the movie to do a full read through and then it's bills and packaging up my dossier to mail it off tomorrow!

Monday starts my last full week of work. Woo hoo! We get out on the 15th and I can not wait!

8 comments:

Robynhood said...

Ok, I am sending an email to your board of education.. you get out on the 15th? We have to work until the 27th! That is soooo unfair (hee hee) Tell me you go back in August and all with be right with the universe!

Congrats on being finished your dossier! That is soooo exciting, makes it all feel so real! I cant wait to hear that you have a refferal!
and Congrats also on doing the race for the cure! The money helps so many people! YAY Laura! and it's also fun!

Uh, the "we" comment from the officer about daycare, I am afraid that would have made me run for the hills. Too soon for him to use the word we in a sentence! It's great he is supportive about your adoption, but he needs to slow the train down, it's just dinner! Perhaps he was just overyly excited to finally meet in person?
The photos with your friend are such an awesome idea! What a great idea! Love it!!
Good to read your post and catch up with all that is going on! You sound buuuuuuusyyyyyy!!! but one week til freedom!!
Take care Laura!!

Robyn

hazel said...

I second what Robyn said.

I am most excited that your dossier will be sent tomorrow. That is fantastic.

Jocelyn said...

I agree on the "we" thing...that is a bit soon...but then again I am VERY jaded:-)

Julia said...

I'll be the fourth on the "we" thing but I wouldn't write him off because of it.

Yay for progress on all sides.

Tami said...

uhhhh, your Friday friend has a name! Tami perhaps!

Single PAP said...

hi tami! :)
love ya!

sko3 said...

Two first dates in one day? Where do you live and can I move there?

Adopting1Soon said...

I just finished reading "I Know You really Love Me" about a patient who stalks a psychiatrist that she only met once. Stalked her for over 7 years!!! So, of course I'm on hair trigger alert to warning signs... That daycare comment would have given me the "I'm being suffocated already' creeps. But that's me, right after reading this book. Maybe it was a slip of tongue because he was nervous? Maybe he meant to say: "I know some great day cares, maybe we can talk about them and I'll give you the info I have" or something like that?