When I was in volunteering in Ethiopia, I spent an afternoon at Kidane Mehret (the orphanage mentioned in yesterday's post and pictured above). It was a really difficult afternoon. I met a child there who, I was told, had just recently arrived. I don't know what her story was or how she ended up at KM but she was a beautiful little girl with a head of dark curls, about 6. She was very shy but would let a smile slip out from time to time. She enjoyed having her picture taken and by the end of the afternoon would sit close to me or right on my lap and just smile and smile. I can't imagine how she must have been feeling, recently orphaned and surrounded by strangers and not speaking a word of Amharic. She is on my lap in this photo.
I also met a set of 12 year old boy/girl twins. I played soccer with the boy for a bit and after awhile he felt comfortable and sat down to speak with me. I was blown away at how polite he was an that he spoke impeccable English. After talking for awhile, he learned that I was planning to adopt. After a few more questions he inquired about what age child I wanted. When he learned I was thinking of an infant girl, the look on his face told me he had had this conversation before. He was way too polite to say what was on his mind but I knew he wondered why the babies were always chosen. He then uttered words I will never forget. He said, "When you go back to America can you help me and my sister find a family?" At that moment I was cursing not being married cause it would be so much easier to adopt 12 year old twins with a spouse but I knew I couldn't do it as a single woman. I did promised him though that I would try to find them a family. When I got back to the States I did bring them up to a couple of friends of mine and hoped they would be interested but I was unable to truly fulfill his request. I still feel guilty about that. I wonder where he and his sister are.
The hardest part of the day by far, though, was seeing a little girl with what appeared to be hydrocephalus. Her head must have been 3x the normal size and she was lying on a counter unable to sit up or move around. She was facing a blank, white wall but every now and then a nun would come by and speak to her or rub her belly or smooth down her hair. They clearly cared for her but there were simply not enough nuns on staff to attend to her every need. Absolutely heartbreaking. The image of her lying there was etched in my mind for a long, long time-- the extreme unfairness of it all. No family, no healthcare, no one to attend to her needs and keep her comfortable and happy and entertained. No one to sing to her or teach her things. No joy. Just lying on her back, day in, day out. I was told that a family wanted to adopt her but since they weren't sure she would survive the flight she was not cleared for adoption. I think we all knew they were just keeping her comfortable until she passed away.




5 comments:
My husband also went to KM and saw this little girl. Heartbreaking.
We were happy to learn that a 10 yr. old boy that Cam met at KM is now home in his new family in America. He begged Cam to find him a family. Ripped Cam's heart out.
Becky
I am happy to know you if only through your blog.
Thank you for opening my eyes just a little bit wider. It's difficult stuff but it's so important to look and know and at the same time not get to hardened by what we see. To keep the faith.
How wonderful you did this.
The photo of you with the children is haunting.
Thank you for this post. It really resonated with me because we too met many, many children desperate for a family, longingly putting their arms around my waist or stroking my hair, asking me if I could help them find a family. I understand your feelings of guilt for being unable to fulfill their requests.
I believe that the twins (K and S, right?) are still on the waiting child list. However, I know of several older kids that we met and felt really depressed about leaving behind last September who have since found families. Every time I see another family announcing their referral for an older child we met I burst into tears. Eventually, K and S will have their turn...I trust AAI as they have a good track record on not letting kids age out.
And on a positive note, I don't know if you met a little girl at Opportunity House, H., with hydrocephalus, but her outcome will be drastically different than for the little girl you met at KM, as she has a family and will be getting fantastic medical care in the US. It is so, so sad and unfair that the little girl you met cannot have the same.
I hope that everyone who reads your post will be touched by it and realize that there are many, many children being left behind in Ethiopia. It's okay (and perfectly understandable- older child and special needs adoption is NOT easy and definitely not for everybody, and it's good to know one's own limits) to want a baby. But I'm pissed at the agencies who place only little ones, and ignore the older children or kids with special needs that are languishing in orphanages all over the country. With all the money agencies collect there's no excuse for that.
Thanks again for your post. Heartbreaking, but important.
What a beautiful, sad post.
I think you've open the eyes and heart of everyone that has/will reads your post.
Thank You!
Sen
wow this is the first post i have read about someone visiting KM and i loved it, we went there too in 01 and 07, maybe met the same people! thx for that and hope you can go back again, sk
Post a Comment