3.21.2009

Preparing Myself (and the Nursery) for Baby

My house has four small bedrooms upstairs. One teeny, tiny one that I turned into a walk-in closet right after I moved in (with permanent closet organizers) and three other slightly larger rooms. The master bedroom is in the front of the house. Next to it is a bathroom. On the other side of the bathroom is another room, which will be the nursery, and in the back of the house is the forth bedroom. The back room was added as an addition, like most houses in my neighborhood, probably about forty years ago. It is nice to have the extra space, but in order to get to that back room you have to either walk through the walk in closet or the future nursery. Currently, the middle room is my TV room/den/office and the back room has all of my art/scrapbooking/photography stuff in it. This hasn't presented a problem when it was just me living here, but it's probably not a good idea to have a room with expensive cameras and enticing art supplies and hundreds of markers and decorative papers in a spectrum of colors one room over from a curious toddler. (Although I don't know what age my daughter will be when I bring her home, I'm going to prepare for a child who may be crawling or walking already).

So, I have a dilemma. I don't have enough space in my small home. Ideally I would like separate spaces for:

* a place to watch TV (preferably not in my bedroom or in the living room)
* an office space
* a playroom
* a place to do my creative stuff, and
* a guest room

But other than the back room upstairs the only other possible spaces I have are the sunroom/breakfast room on the first floor--which leads to the backyard where no doubt we will be coming in and out of all summer--and a fairly large, extremely humid basement. So three rooms (back room upstairs, sunroom and basement) when I need five. I realize I can double up but I am having a really hard time trying to figure out how to do that without spending a lot of money. If money were no object I suppose I could make the basement climate right, buy some comfy furniture, section off the washer/dryer, add some built-ins for art supplies, mount a flat screen TV and turn that space into a guestroom/artspace/den. My art supplies would be safe because she would never be down there without me and it'd be a place to go and relax with guests or when she's sleeping and I don't want to disturb her. Then the upstairs room could be simply an office and the sunroom could be her playroom. Maybe you have a better idea?

With the above idea in mind I started to clear out my den to make room for baby. I really want to start setting up the nursery because I really need to make this adoption feel more real. I know usually people don't want to look at an empty room in the midst of the process because they feel sad and empty, but I feel the opposite. I want that space done so I can really start to feel like motherhood isn't just some illusive concept. I want to feel that yearning! I want to see the baby furniture and the clothes and toys and books. I want to feel the excitement building that I imagine pregnant woman must feel in the months leading up to their child's birth.

The adoption process is mostly doctors appointments and document gathering and check writing and, well, it's basically no fun at all. We don't get the new wardrobe and the sonograms (or are they ultrasounds? --you know the little picture of the developing baby) and the pats on the belly and the cravings and all the other accoutrements of the impending arrival. I want that! I want people to be excited and involved and send little gifts in the mail. I want my family to be excited and talking about it-- and by 'it' I mean the baby. If I were pregnant the comments from friends in family would be:

* Congratulations!
* How do you feel?
* Have you thought of a name?

But when you say you are adopting you don't get those questions. The questions, if you get any at all--and there have been many people in my life who have not asked one question at all from good friends to close family members--are more typically :

* Why?
* Can't you have any of your own?
* Aren't you afraid of illness/attachment/low intelligence..?

Most people just aren't excited about adoption and even if they are, they aren't talking about it every time they see you like they would if you were pregnant with that big visual reminder. They don't congratulate you or ask you how you are feeling or drop by with little booties or board books. So, I want to do the nursery so when people come over they will have that visual reminder and will be excited and so that I, too, will have the excitement that is so lacking from this whole process.


So, today I started clearing out the den to prepare the nursery and if I squeeze my eyes tightly shut and sit still for a moment, I can detect a wee bit of excitement stirring from within.

4 comments:

veggiemom said...

I'm expecting pics to document the process. ;-)

Adopting1Soon said...

You need a referral, hon. THAT will make it much more real. Then when you continue to get pictures, as people travel over there, it will become even more real. Then you will have pictures in your purse to show everone who even glances your way, and they WILL get excited for you! Then people will start asking if someone is preparing a baby shower for you. Etc.

I think it's so early in the process right now that it's just paperwork and no real baby behind the papers. Your excitement will come with a referral and then other people will pick up on you excitement. Right now, what is there to ask? "Did you have a good time getting your birth certificate?" "How were your fingerprints?" See? Just wait! It will get MUCH more exciting!!!!

Single PAP said...

LOL! i guess you're right A1S! Kerri, pictures are coming!!

hazel said...

I'm a big advocate for preparing the nursery sooner rather than later. It has definitely helped keep me focused and very happy. It's the one bedroom door that I don't close. I love to walk by and peek in all the time. I also stand in it and imagine doing all the things I will eventually be doing with Myfanwy.

I don't have a suggestion for which rooms you should use - but if you do keep the back room for your creative work, you can put a lock on it so your daughter can't get in without you.