
While learning about time we only focused on morning, afternoon and night and time to the hour. Some of the concepts they really don't get and their questions crack me up.
Me: "Boys and girls, we only have 45 minutes to finish up before music."
Student: "What does that mean?"
Or this one.
Student: "Is it almost lunch time?"
Me: "No. We still have 2 ½hours."
Student: "How long is that?"
Today as they were working, I thought about the concepts of measurement and time. It doesn't get much clearer as you get older. Personally, I tend to think that time is not constant. Some days just seem to go by faster than others. So maybe they really did? Like most PAPs I am consumed with the concept of time. You always read about time on adoption blogs:
The time spent deciding between IUI, IVF or adoption.
The time spent trying to get pregnant.
The time spent being pregnant.
The time spent mourning the loss of a pregnancy.
The time spent researching adoption agencies.
The time spent doing a home study.
The time spent traveling or standing in line for fingerprints, driving records and the like.
The ridiculous amount of time spent reading other blogs and on yahoo groups.
The time spent reading up on attachment, RAD, bonding, grief and loss, lifebooks etc.
The time spent designing a nursery, putting together furniture, researching baby products and baby names.
The time spent learning about the culture and traditions of the future child's birth country.
The time spent waiting for a referral.
The time spent waiting for a courtdate.
The time left before some document expires.
The time spent in the air traveling.
The amount of time it took to feel like their child was becoming comfortable.
The time it took to attach and bond.
The time spent on the lifebook.
The time it takes to clear up giardia.
The time lost before the child joined the family.
The right time to talk about adoption.
Did I miss any?
And then there are all the tickers and countdowns and various markers to denote the passage of time. Including on this blog. Hey, I am guilty. I am consumed by the passage of time.
But really, the concept of time is really far deeper than my feeble brain can comprehend. From a Judeo-Christian standpoint I suspect we are to believe that time began when God created the Earth. But what happened before that? I don't get it. I am not nearly scholarly enough or deep enough or intellectual enough to understand, nor do I have the energy or the time to learn about it-- but I do find it fascinating.
Comment on that if you like, but what I really want to know is: Which section of time --part of the adoption process-- was the most challenging for you? And do you have any tips to make that easier for those of us yet to experience it?




3 comments:
Ruby's adoption took 2 1/2 years. I considered pregnancy for all of 15 seconds before I decided to adopt. With her adoption, the hardest time was when I switched from Kazakhstan to Guatemala and was waiting for a referral. The week before I got her referral, I'd told my coordinator I was giving up and was going to try to get pregnant since obviously adoption wasn't meant to be. She asked me to hang on for one more week. Thank goodness I listened.
With Medina's adoption, which moved at lightening speed, the hardest time was actually the first month she was home. Ruby had a terrible time adjusting to the changes (even though Medina was doing great) and made life miserable for all of us.
One of the things I think makes adoption so difficult is that so much is out of our control.
I have found whichever phase I am currently in to be the hardest ;-P
There have been periods within each phase that have been more difficult than others.
It's unfortunate that we spend so much of the adoption journey obsessing about time and thereby letting time/life pass us by in the meanwhile - at least that's been my problem.
Thank you Thank you! I am doing non standard measurement with my grade 2s right now and you have given me a great idea for tomorrow. I love the idea of letting them measure whatever they want with unifix cubes! I was reading through your blog (I just discovered it) and discovered you are a teacher like me.
I hope that the adoption process is going well for you. The time truly is the hard part... I look forward to reading the rest of your blog.
:) Robyn
Post a Comment