3.04.2009

Cooking Woes

I am having some serious cooking issues. Dinner is a challenge! Here are the problems:

1. I don't like to cook.
2. My microwave died some months ago.
3. I gave up meat and dairy.

So, in the past I might have done one of the following:

1. Stop and pick up something already prepared like pizza (nope. no dairy.) or chicken (nope. no meat.)
2. Pop a frozen meal into the microwave (nope. no can do.)
3. Pour a glass of wine and take the time to whip something up (nope. no wine. have to suffer through the entire cooking process with hot tea or a tall glass of water. boring.)

I had just gotten into my crock pot and fallen in love with two simple recipes. One with chicken, apricot jam, thousand island dressing and onion soup mix. OMG. Could not be any tastier. But nope. And the taco soup I made a couple of weeks ago I loved but somehow I don't think would be the same without the turkey, sour cream and cheese. Darn.

What's a lazy, food-loving, Lent-observing gal to do? I have been eating more salads. That's a plus. I throw on some croutons and nuts and dried cranberries to make them more interesting. But sometimes you just want a hot meal. Especially since it's been in the teens! So I am forced to come up with some new dishes that don't have meat or dairy and it's hard!

I often skip the cookbook and try to whip something up from the top of my head. Like the black bean burrito I whipped up last week. I started with a package of dried black beans and cooked them myself. They were bland, bland, bland so I added some sauteed onions and bbq sauce. Better. Then I rolled them in a whole wheat tortilla with some rice cheese (not sure how I feel about that) and avocado. They were actually quite good.

Last night I tried my hand at Thai curry. That was a joke. I don't suggest trying to make curry without a recipe. It looks good, right?

Yeah, not so much. Let me tell you it does not taste anything like Thai restaurant food even with the coconut milk and curry. (And I've never been to Thailand but I sincerely doubt it even comes close to the country's worst chef.) Now don't get me wrong, I ate it --but I think it needed some fish sauce or lemongrass or something to make it more authentic but who has those items lying around the kitchen? Not I.

So, can anyone give me some ideas?! The whole vegan diet thing is really starting to grate. Between the diet restrictions and not being able to have a glass of wine and the daggone dossier paperwork getting on my nerves I am starting to go crazy over here! Can someone post a tasty, easy to prepare recipe or a link to a recipe to make the next 32 days go more smoothly? I would really appreciate some help! :-)

12 comments:

veggiemom said...

The crock pot blog you got the taco soup from has several veggie recipes. I haven't gotten the nerve to try any yet - I suck in the kitchen - but I keep thinking about it.

Single PAP said...

oh you know what? you are right! i will check them out this weekend..and tell you of any i recommend!

Adopting1Soon said...

Some "secret" curry ingredients, to round out the flavor and make it "fuller" are basil, sugar, SALT (don't forget the salt, it really brings the flavor to a DEEPER level). Try adding those next time. It LOOKS delish! Try again :-)

Rachael said...

You can totally do this!!

My first suggestion: Ethiopian food. I'm sure you know how to cook some, plus there are tons of great vegan recipes for it out there (and I have a bunch on my blog, too). If you have a couple of hours on the weekend to devote to cooking, you could make three or four different dishes in big batches and eat them in different combinations each night. Of course, I say this as a total Ethiopian food addict who never tires of it :)

I'll get back to you with more quick meals. I don't cook meat- like, literally, I wouldn't even know where to begin if I tried- so I've definitely got ideas after 14+ years as a vegetarian. We stay away from wanna-be dairy products but the fake meats are AWESOME. Definitely check out the fake beef crumbles for substitution in things like tacos.

Questions: do you have a Trader Joe's near you? Do you like tofu? And how do you feel about beans?

One recipe off the top of my head:

Lazy Minestrone

olive oil
basil and oregano
garlic, minced (2 cloves or so)
1 zucchini, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes with juice (get the kind with onions and garlic or herbs, it adds more flavor)
1 small can mixed vegetables, drained
1/2+ can beans (garbanzos,kidneys, whatever you like, it doesn't matter)
1 cup cooked pasta (any kind)

Sautee the garlic in about a tbsp. olive oil. Add the basil and oregano and zucchini and cook until the zucchini is tender. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Add the beans and mixed vegetables and simmer on low for about ten minutes. Add the pasta five minutes before serving.

You can play around with this recipe a lot; alter the amounts of the ingredients to make it more soupy vs. stewy, add more/different veggies, experiment with spices, etc. I usually make this on a night when I already have leftover pasta in the fridge to save myself a step.

Good luck! I'll keep brainstorming...

Tami said...

Try Marks Kitchen! LOL

I'm doing just fine with my diet but I have a microwave although no stove. LOL

hazel said...

I'm with Rachel - I was going to suggest ET food - it would probably work great in the crock pot.

Single PAP said...

thanks for all the suggestions. i am going to try my hand at ethiopian food in the crock. thanks for the recipe rachel and in fact, i am going to try your tikil gomen today in the crock! can't wait!

Mamato2 said...

My dad is lactose intolerant- we order him pizza without cheese. It's actually AWESOME!! try it. :)

Mamato2 said...

BTW, I posted a recipe for shrimp rice on my blog today, that can easily be modified. Change the chicken stock to veggie broth and do not put in the suasage. Voilá, and tasty!

Adopting1Soon said...

It's a good thing to wait on the puppy decision and not do it impulsively. I think a puppy may INITIALLY be more work than a baby! Is the puppy in a foster home? What are his other issues? (usually they will only tell you the least of the issues....like with my Boo). I'm in recue and of a firm mind that there is a solution to every dog problem, but it takes energy and committment and time and obediance classes and trainers, etc, etc. So know that if you do go for it! On the other hand, you'll never find a creature that loves you more... not even your kid.

Mary Beth said...

You can find fab foods at Whole Foods ~ especially great for not wanting to cook!

Mary Beth
www.preciousbabydolls.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5XnQ7z3ztU

Amina's Mama said...

hey, this is the recipe i followed very ROUGHLY: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-Curry-with-Sweet-Potatoes-233843