2.18.2009

The SW/The Date/The Crock Pot

1. I had the "talk" with my SW. He wasn't nearly as judgemental as I thought he was going to be. He just felt the need to point out the obvious, I guess ("it's going to be more difficult"; "it's going to be more expensive"; "you would need to be surrounded by a support group," etc, etc. --uh, yeah.) In the end he agreed to change it (though I haven't seen it so I'm a wee bit nervous since he may have already sent it off to CIS...but hoping for the best!)
Now to work on that pesky dossier.

2. The Valentine's Date. We went to a lovely restaurant, built in the early 1900s.


The restaurant was originally built as a stable on the estate of General Nelson A. Miles. The individual stalls, still intact, used to house his favorite horses: Denver, Golden Pebbles and Rappahanock. You could dine upstairs in the old hay loft, or where we ate-- down by the fire-- surrounded by original harness hooks, feed boxes and saddle trees. The food was good and the wine was good. My date? He's nice. He's smart. He's attractive. I'll leave it at that since he was nice enough to let me post this picture.



3. My Crock Pot. I love that thing! Now that is the true love of my life. Or at least my new best friend. Seriously. It is the best. invention. ever. Yesterday I made taco soup and it was incredible!

Easy and delicious! I found the recipe on Stephanie's amazing blog, CrockPot365. It's the third recipe I've tried. I am going to do at least one new one a week. Why? Because I am on a mission to learn how to cook healthy meals at home to:

A. save money
B. eat healthier and
C. lose some weight.

I am determined to lose --dare I say 25 pounds by summer?-- so I can fit into my clothes, be healthier, prepare myself physically for taking care of a little one alone and heck, look cute come summer! I swear, the crock pot is one necessary component in achieving that quest. I am going to stop eating out so often, quit the mindless snacking on junk food and be more active. I already wear a pedometer every day but have yet to get to the goal of 10,000 steps in my normal routine. Clearly, I need to actually exercise to increase the total so starting today I will. Maybe I should post my weight loss results on a sidebar? Nothing like accountability to get you up off the couch! Anyone want to join me?

11 comments:

Amina's Mama said...

omg, i TOO love the crockpot. it makes sense. colored people all over the world love to throw something in a pot and let it simmer for hours while they get stuff done. that whole standing over the stove -- some western b/s. (none of this has any DATA but i bet you'll agree! LOL)

thanks for the blog link. and the taco soup looks delish!

here's a question -- i find that i make too much in my crock. how do you make just enough for you?

Adopting1Soon said...

Nice, smart AND attractive??? Woo hoo JACKPOT!!!

veggiemom said...

First, yay for the social worker. I'm glad he came around.
Second, glad your date was okay.
Third, I LOVE the crockpot blog. I'm going to have to try some of those. There are even vegetarian recipes!!! Yay!

Single PAP said...

i make too much, too-- even though i have a small (4qt?) crock. i just eat the same thing over and over or freeze it.it needs to be 3/4 full in order for the food to not dry out so there is only so little you can make.

Nicholas said...

Sounds delicious!! And your date... no more detail? You're cruel! Can you at least tell us if ther will be another date? :)

Tami said...

I LOVE my crock!!!!! and your date was cute! Give him a chance!

Milla said...

there it IS, the crockpot! Thanks for coming by my blog, nice to see the thing itself in action. Your aims are so depressingly familiar! Good luck with them.

French Fancy... said...

Hello there - thought I'd pop in and see you. You are pretty and don't look like you need to lose any weight at all.

hazel said...

1) I'm glad your S/W didn't give you too much grief.

2) Your date looks really nice. Will there be a second outing?

3) I've been thinking of crock potting, so thank you for that link!

Shawn said...

I'm with you Laura! I just started a little regimen myself, and planned to make a crock pot dinner tommorow. I'm so glad you left that link to the crock pot site.
My downfalls are take out ( i can cook, but it's so hard during the week), and exercise (i've been in the gym faithfully the last 2 weeks and hopefully i'll do some walk's and maybe a half marathon at some point.)

Bennett said...

I love crock pots. They are the best.....Nice looking date!!!

Celeste