1.13.2009

20,000 Hits?! .. and still no further in the process... Sigh

I've been watching my ticker lately and it's been creeping up ever so slowly. Today it finally reached 20,000 hits! Wow! When I started this blog, it was just for my close friends and family. But now, almost two years later most friends and family don't even check in. I know my mom checks it every once and awhile but no one else in my family reads it. Maybe a few friends read it but mostly it's folks whom I have never met; really nice and supportive people all over the world. Who knew it was going to blossom into such an obsession wonderful way to connect with other PAPs and APs! I love my blog! It makes me happy.

This time last year I was debating about going overseas and ultimately decided to do it before adoption. It was strange to go back and read those old posts and really discouraging to feel that in many ways I am in the exact same place. I didn't get to move overseas this year but I didn't get my baby either! In fact, I am doing the exact same thing - trying to complete my homestudy. (grrr) For the past several weeks two of my good friends, Hattie and Tracy, have been calling me every night to talk overseas jobs.

Hattie taught in Brussels and right outside of London for a total of five years abroad and she swears by overseas teaching:

"Laura, you'd love teaching abroad!"
"Your colleagues will be interesting and well traveled."
"You won't have behavior problems."
"You can travel the world and still save tons of money."
"Come on! Let's go together!"


Tracy has never taught overseas and is more practical in her approach but also has a good angle.

"You know you've always wanted to teach overseas."
"You don't want to be in the exact same spot next year wishing you had done it."
"Do it now before you adopt--it'll be so much easier."
"C'mon! Let's go!"


Hattie:

"You know childcare is so much more affordable overseas."
"You could afford a live in nanny!"
"There are so many more men your type in that type of setting... other men who love to travel."
"You could meet someone in the diplomatic core or in international development."
"We could share an apartment to save even more money!"
"Come on! Let's go together!"


Tracy:

"Your whole adoption could be paid for in one year!"
"Imagine being able to pay off any remaining debt!"
"Go now before you get settled into a routine here with your child."
"You can even rent your house out and make even more money."
"C'mon! Let's go!"

Dang.
They are both right.
I want to go.
But I can not adopt from overseas. I already tried that. Didn't work.
But this time of year is so difficult because it's job fair season. The wanderlust in me gets all worked up and I foam at the mouth thinking of the exciting life I could have if I lived abroad. And the crazy thing is, I already have lived abroad more than many people I know so you would think I'd be satisfied (a year in Nigeria, seven months in France, ten months in St. Thomas,USVI) but sadly I am not. I still want to go.

I wanna, I wanna, I wanna!

I thrive off of experiencing new lands, traveling to parts unknown, learning about new cultures, trying new foods, living an amazing life. And right now things just don't seem all that amazing. They are downright humdrum at times.

So as I work on seemingly never-ending adoption paperwork I pray that my child will arrive in 2009 so I have the option of attending the job fair in February 2010. Will I want to go next year, once I am a parent? I don't know. But living a remarkably life is so important to me so right now I trying hard to suppress the urge to run off...

A few pictures from Senegal, Dubai and Ethiopia...







I miss you big world! But I will see more of you at some point, I guess...

On a happier note, how 'bout The Bachelor?! Last night was so good! He's cute. I think he's really feeling the ex-cheerleader and the hot dog girl. I like Sophia's mom (the one he has the date with next week) but I think she's too serious and mature for him. He seems to like the happy go lucky ones without any baggage. The light and breezy type who Sophia's mom most definitely is not. I also think it''s high time he axed the lacrosse coach. She is so negative and has a major chip on her shoulder. Right?!

6 comments:

Adopting1Soon said...

If you are just starting another homestudy, you would have to start the paperwork all over again if you moved! I'm sure you are aware of that and it plays into your decision.

If it were me, which you are not of course and have your own motivations and desires, I would follow through with the adoption now that you have settled on a new agency and started the proces again.

Unless you haven't signed on the dotted line yet nor sent any $$. Then I might really need to prioritize my life and come to a decision I could be happy with.

Good luck. I know it hasn't been easy throughout this whole process for you.

And don't forget, once your child is yours, you can travel with him/her anywhere you want. Lord knows my parents schlepped me around the world 6 times before I was 10. I'm no worse for wear.

veggiemom said...

I don't think I ever would have survived my first adoption without the blog world and now it's just like family.
Hope you're able to satisfy the wonderlust soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Are you sitting around waiting for life to start? Life is right now, hon!

I agree with your friends. Go for it! And keep working on your baby. When the time is right, it will work out.

Orange Girl said...

Honestly, if you wait until you have everything on your soul's to-do list "out of the way", you'll never get around to being a parent. And it certainly doesn't look like the road for single mamas adopting is going to get any easier. So don't feel bad about making this the year of adoption- at least you'll get to travel overseas for sure!
Oh, and nothing says you can't travel- or move- overseas with a child. Probably not as easy as doing it solo, but not impossible.
Katie (Isa B's mama)

Jamie said...

First of all, let me say I love your blog. I also have the desire to adopt and travel the world. I plan to travel with my children. for the longest I wasn't sure I would be able to do so once I started my family, but now after researching all of the resources, I believe it is possible. Not only will I see the world, but I will be able to share these experiences and cultures with my children.

Sweet Patience said...

I love your blog and the pictures from Ethiopia are beautiful. Best wishes to a speedy referral for you!
I will be checking in.
Kristy