Hope you're going everywhere and doing everything possible and watching the events elsewhere, such as...... Did you watch some of the Obama whistle stop train ride from Philly to DC? Hear any of his speeches. we are so excited, constantly teary eyed... It is just all so amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get thee to the Lincoln Memorial for whatever it is tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky lucky you to live in that great city at this fabulous time. Get as close as you can to things. Breathe the charged air. Live! Wow! Oh to be thirty years younger... Have a blast for us! Mom
Well, that settled that! Stuart (in from North Carolina) joined Pierre and me. First I went home to bundle up. I put on two pairs of long johns and some ski pants, a silk undershirt, a thermal, shirt and a fleece; two pairs of socks and some hiking boots; a scarf, a hat, mittens and a parka and guess what?! I wasn't cold! LOL Then we drove to Target so I could buy a new camera (could NOT do the weekend without a camera!) and hopped on the Metro from there to head downtown. That was a bit scary as the crowds were pretty big (I can't even imagine how much more crowded it can get on Tuesday) but we made it! We got off at the Smithsonian stop and started walking towards the Lincoln Memorial. We didn't get anywhere close to the stage, of course, but there were jumbotrons set up and we, along with the thousands of people around us could see and hear everything. (I even ran into my co-worker!) There was so much energy in the crowd--everyone so joyful and full of hope and exhilarated to have the opportunity to celebrate this historic moment!! Here are some pictures of the day:
Afterwards, we decided to forgo the metro and walk uptown instead. We braved the now dropping temperatures and walked about 20 blocks until we reached one of my favorite Thai restaurants where we stopped to have dinner.




4 comments:
Amazing, amazing, amazing!! I am so happy that you got to experience this day in person!! I am still so emotional:-)
Your mom was right! You are so very very lucky to have been there. I hate the cold too, so I would have had a millions layers on as well.
The pictures are great. I know you'll never regret attending.
And congratulations on your new President!
p.s. Love the hair :-)
Brave you! You don't look that cold int he pictures, so maybe all the layers helped. I hate layers because invariably my back starts itching, or behind my knee, someplace I cannot reach and materials are too thick to scratch!
And yum Thai food! My fave as well. Sounds like altogether a wonderful day. When I see his face on the screen, so... regal...so diplomatic, so presidential... I almost start crying.
Thank you U.S. citizens for FINALLY doing the right thing for our country!
Post a Comment