Would you look at that snotty nose? It had gotten better and the diarrhea was lessening. But then it seemed to come back with a vengeance. What the heck?! They were commenting on it at daycare--that her nose is always running. And then the truth came out. Conversation as follows:
Teacher: "Naomi's nose is running all the time. Always must be wiped. Always."
Me: "I know. It's strange, isn't it? Cause she doesn't have a cold. I thought it was the dairy, but maybe it's something else." (I was about to give up and try removing wheat/gluten next).
T: "Well, you know, she loves to drink milk. At lunch I always see her grabbing other children's milk and drinking it."
M: " ... " (stunned).
T: "You say it's not an allergy. Good. Cause she tries to take milk every day. She finishes lunch first and then she goes to play while the other kids are eating. Then she comes back and tries to drink the milk. She will grab it and run across the room and then wait for me to look at her before taking a drink. She knows she's not supposed to be doing it."
M: "So (still stunned as there are true nut allergies in her classroom)... so?.."
T: "I can't be watching her all the time. She is very fast and I have to watch the other children as well."
Just wow. I was so shocked at what I was hearing that I couldn't respond appropriately but the next day I went back to discuss this with her teacher. She told me the children all grab each other's food before when we were discussing Naomi's appetite. I told her to please watch her, that I don't want her eating other children's food or drinks (aside from her dietary restrictions, I don't want the germs). I even wrote a note asking them to be please be more vigilant--and then this. This is the third time it has come up so this time I went in and discussed it more seriously to her teacher. I told her if she finds it too challenging to watch my daughter during lunch that I will pick her up every day and she will eat with me in my classroom and I will bring her back when we are done. She seemed alarmed that I would do something so drastic but I was trying to drive home the point that this is not a light matter. I told her she is contributing to my daughter's comprised health and if she can't manage her, I will remove her from the situation. "What if she had a life threatening allergy? What would you do then? If you couldn't watch her, she could end up dead." A bit dramatic, but not really. She is not the only one with an intolerance or an allergy in the room. They need to be more careful. This is a serious matter. She said she would have one of the teaches sit at the table with them at lunchtime from here on out. I hope so cause this is totally unacceptable.




7 comments:
I totally understand you! I would be pissed to.
I hope it gets better.
xoxo
Ohh, I would be super pissed! They should treat it like an allergy. Wow. Sorry. Hopefully the runny nose will get better now. It just sucks that we have to be so vigilant with this stuff.
WOW! How can an adult say that they can't keep an eye on them?!?
WOW!
Go momma go! But seriously...you are right! This is not a joke. You have found the cause of her allergies and you have to deal with it. And speaking with first hand knowledge, that poop is no joke! LOL
Laura-
I think i would have my daughter eat with me until the issue is resolved then let her rejoin the other kids. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.
Sen :)
BTW; make sure and read Celeste's post about her girls condition. It's very insightful.
So sorry that the teacher is not taking this situation as serious as needed. It is pretty much common place for kids this age to share lunch and germs. My niece had really extreme food allergies and we eventually had to remove her from school. It is very difficult to control it because it causes a total melt down all the time. Luckily she out grew them.
Good luck
That is completely crazy! She should be immediately cleaning up food from the table when the children get up.
Quinn's daycare was strict about not sharing food and cleaning up right away.
I cannot imagine.
You are right to push. If other day cares can do it why can't this woman?
Post a Comment