11.22.2009

My Family's Reaction

So, the fact that I have a referral has begun to sink in. Sort of. Nothing is ready -- not her bedroom, not day care, no travel partner lined up... I don't even have a name picked out! I had it narrowed down to about 20 and once I saw her picture I was able to rule some of them out because they don't seem to fit her. Now that I am down to about 12 I have to decide if I want to keep her given name as her first name or move it to the middle. So much to do as you can see, though I imagine once I get a court date I will be running around like a crazy woman. Nothing like a court date to put things in perspective.

It is starting to become real to my family as well. I drove home to tell my parents in person and surprise them with the news. I was telling them about a certification exam I had taken that morning and was going on and on about how difficult it was but how grateful I was that my friend Tracy had lent me her study guide. I pulled out the envelope which she had mailed the guide in but replaced it with a magazine on top of which I placed the referral photos. So I hand my mom the envelope as I am going on and on about the thick study guide, thinking she would pull it out and see the photos. Instead, she hands it off to my dad and keeps on talking. I had pulled out my camera at this point to try to video tape the moment but it didn't quite go as smoothly as I had planned.

My dad opens the envelope and pulls out the magazine, leaving the photos inside! And then he gets so wrapped up at looking at Tyra Bank's sexy cover photo that he doesn't even realize that he's supposed to be looking for a study guide. Meanwhile, my mom totally oblivious to this, continues to chat about the test. Finally I have to interrupt her to say, "Oh, that magazine was in there too but the study guide is also in there" to get them to reach in for the photos. My dad pulls out the photos, says nothing, and hands them to my mom. My mom glances as them and says nonchalantly, "Oh, she's cute", making no connection to the fact that these are referral photos and not a study guide! Now to their defense, they have no idea what referral photos look like nor were they expecting to see one in this envelope but I had to outright tell them what they are looking at! Even after repeating it to them several times, I swear it took a full 45 seconds for it to all sink in. Then, my mom went crazy! :-) Unfortunately I can't post them yet because someone either shows her photo or says her name or age and those details can't be given out until I pass court, but you will just have to believe that everyone was pretty darn excited! Here are a few photos of my parents and my sister on that day and one of me gazing at the photo of a little one who may become my daughter.

11 comments:

Robynhood said...

Loved it! What a great story.. cant wait to see the video of your mom's reaction!!

:) Robyn

Jebena said...

Okay, so why are the two of us "kinda" alike? Won't come out and just say it, got's to beat all around the bush, making folks look puzzled and whatnot, putting them off guard (which can actually cause a heart attack according to my Mom)....hehehehee, but not funny.

But at the end, so happy to see your Mom and Dad see this day and experience your happiness with you. It's going to mean so much to your daughter, their Granddaughter, one day!

Praying for an upcoming Courtdate!!!!

kristine said...

I love this story and the photos!!
I love that you did it in person! You are going to be a great mom - such restraint!!!

Congrats again!!!!!

Adopting1Soon said...

Awww.... I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that moment! I'm sure they are ecstatic!

veggiemom said...

It just never goes as planned but what a great story.

Rebecca said...

Really cute story! And, so SO excited that you've seen your daughter's face. I love the last picture of you gazing at her. Such peace and love.

Bennett said...

I love the blow by blow details of adoption story. Keep the info coming......Can't wait to see pics!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness, were we that dense?????????? How we loved it all-- once we woke up to the beautiful reality...
a memorable blessed time... we send thanks and love...M and D

Barbara said...

Congratulations! Sorry, I'm a late arrival and just saw your referral news now.

Anonymous said...

I love this - how fun! and look at their faces... they are already in love.

and YOU are some clearly a mama.

keep the details coming!

InventingLiz said...

I had a name picked out until I saw her face too!

It will come together, enjoy the referral high for a little while and then make a really good to-do list!