I feel like I am running out of time. Knowing that I am about to get a referral, somehow it just became clear that I have a million things to do and there is not nearly enough time. I'm not sure how this happened exactly.. it's not as if I haven't been in this process for, oh, MORE THAN TWO YEARS but somehow it has.
I am still hoping to travel around Christmas time or early January and can I tell you all the things that need to get done in the next 2 months? Yikes! Just writing that and realizing that 2 months is only 8 short weeks made my stomach do flips! How on earth did I let this happen? Do you want to know all the things that I need/want to do? Here is a very small, pared down partial list:
1. find a pediatrician
2. create the nursery (paint, buy furniture, etc.)
3. read up on attachment parenting
4. take CPR
5. learn basic Amharic phrases in case she's a toddler
6. learn basic sign language to communicate while she learns English
7. sign her up for health insurance
8. pick a name!
9. reorganize things around the house to accommodate her/keep her safe
10. decide how much time I can afford to take off since FMLA is unpaid! :-<
11. find daycare
12. rewrite fundraising letter and send out the second batch
13. research the free adoption photographer and set a tentative date
14. cook and freeze several meals
15. get car serviced
16. go to the doctor (primary care, ENT, obgyn, ortho. surgeon, dermatologist and dentist)
17. declutter
18. get shots
19. babyproof
20. get furnace fixed
21. fill out all needed paperwork for health insurance, FMLA, etc.
22. get cell phone fixed
23. get cable fixed and hooked up in other rooms
24. decide on a travel partner or prepare to travel alone
25. find a man (ok, this is a joke..well, not really! I won't be able to date anymore!)
I can't write anymore. I'm starting to hyperventilate. There is not enough time!!!!
Why oh WHY did I wait til the last minute!!???!! What is my problem!
11.02.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




9 comments:
I had a list like this too - didn't get half of it done and its all turned out okay. deep breaths...
Breath!!! It will all work out. I promise!
It all falls into place dont you worry... somehow what really needs to be done will get done and the rest.... will all sort itself out.. just keep breathing... oh and the travelling alone thing, if you have to, its totally doable, dont you worry!!
:) hugs,
Robyn
You'll be fine. You get done what you can get done! Besides, remember, it's not like you travel a week after referral....you'll have 6-12 weeks to get stuff done.
Ok, advice you didn't ask for from a been there done that parent:
1. yes, find a doc and get an rx for anti-biotics. They do not have current meds in ET for you or the baby.
2. Ok, well the nursery, yes...but just remember that it's only a room they will sleep in for quite a while.
3. Attachment parenting...hmmm, just take a book of choice about it on the plane. You have to learn as you go...no book can fix it all anyway. It's a day by day thing.
4. CPR, ok. you can have that one...ha!
5. They will teach you Amharic while you're there. Don't sweat this one at all.
6. Get a SMALL book on baby signs. The rest is easy. They usually won't use signs until they're older than nine months.
7. Health insurance, yes!
8. Pick a name...maybe wait until you see her face to help you decide?
9. The only baby proofing we did was cabinets and plugs. The rest was a firm "no sir" or "that's a no touch" and all my breakables are still where they've always been.
14. Meh. You'll be fine.
Skipping to 17:
17. Nah. Who has time...it will just get cluttered the second you have a child.
18. Yes, do.
19. See #9
25. I hear that, sister! You crack me up!
Seriously, no hyperventilating! It's true what everyone else says above, you will be fine and you can do it! What really needs to be done will get done - and the rest will fall away and take care of itself later on. Don't sweat it!
Do what you can and more than ANYTHING ELSE - sleep in, do fun stuff at odd hours, and go to the movies. Just trust me.
Everyone is telling me to breathe these days, but that doesn't get stuff done so I won't make that suggestion to you ;-) Maybe try to prioritize your list (even if it all feels equally important), and allow some things to drop if you run out of time. Some of the items on your list can be done after baby is home.
I feel your pain! so much to do! Advice that was given to me was to get the home things done because you won't have time for that....so that is my "plan" as soon as I start instead of just rewriting my "to do list"...it would be so much easier if there was someone to help with it all!
keep me posted with your travel partner plans. I am kinda in the same boat as you on that one!
Passport and shots!
I am tired just reading the list. You will get things done. Just breathe and relax.
Post a Comment