11.06.2009

Coming Out From Under the Fog

Thank you for your supportive comments. It's been a rough week. November is here and with it comes the start of the holiday season and the reminder that once again I will be celebrating without my own family.

Growing up, my family made a big deal out of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Family traditions were repeated year after year. Like many families, it's a special time of year. I have yearned for the day when I can share our traditions and create new ones with a husband and children. For years I have yearned for the day when I can decorate my home with symbols of the season, host Thanksgiving dinner and prepare elaborate holiday meals and treats. For years I have wanted to be the couple who threw festive dinner parties and cocktail parties. For years I have dreamed of the day when I can make gingerbread houses and Christmas cut out cookies with my kids, go caroling, choose a special gift for my husband and help my children wrap gifts over mugs of hot cocoa. I have dreamed of putting out cookies for Santa and carrots for the reindeer and seeing my child in the Christmas pageant... I could go on and on. Somewhere along the way I thought the Norman Rockwell vision of the holidays was meant for me. Trust me, being in your 40's and going home for Thanksgiving and Christmas alone is so not Norman Rockwell. Sure, I have a wonderful family who loves me and welcomes me into their homes and hearts despite my whining, negative attitude, constant complaining and feeling sorry for myself. Of course I am not like this all the time and I am sure someone will comment about how ungrateful and self-absorbed I am in this post. And it's true. I am. But I am tired of going through the holidays as an adult without a husband and children. I was 100% sure that this year would be different, but as it turns out I am going to have to face these holidays again with a smile even as I see childhood friends with their husbands and children and as I field questions and comments from friends and family about why I am still not married. Blah.

Don't get me wrong, I know I am blessed. Not every family with spouses and or children is a happy one. Not everyone even has a place to go on the holidays. I am healthy, I have a job, I have friends. But, as as the days inch ever closer to Thanksgiving and then to Christmas, it is a reminder of the things that I don't have, the things that I want more than anything else in the world. I wanted so badly to be able to celebrate my daughter's safe arrival with my parents this holiday season. It brings me to tears to wonder if they may miss the opportunity to ever do this.

Gosh, this is a depressing post. I guess I am still reeling and all emotionally out of wack by the events of this afternoon. I was at work, eating lunch in my classroom and randomly decided to check my phone messages. I had two from ADT saying my alarm had gone off. Panicked, I called them back and they said that the police had responded and informed them that my basement door was open. I grabbed my things, tearfully told my vice principal I had to leave and sped home. I was so scared. I knew I could eventually replace the material items-not that I have much-but I couldn't wrap my mind around someone being in my home, going through my things...not to mention that very few of my photos are backed up (...guess I better add that to my overwhelming to do list...).

I arrived way before the police which annoyed me to no end but gave me quite a bit of time to calm down and put things into perspective. At least I wasn't home. No one is hurt. I can't imagine what kind of response I would have if this had happened when I was home asleep. Or if my girl was sleeping in the other room. Gosh, I don't even want to think about that. So, the police arrive and it turns out that one of them had responded to the call from ADT. She said that the basement door was open (which set off the alarm) but you couldn't gain access. She showed me that indeed it was open about an inch but because I had placed one of my dining room chairs under the doorknob the culprit wasn't able to gain access. I don't know if was the chair or the sound of the alarm, but this evening I am counting my blessings that nothing was taken and no one was is my home and no one was hurt. Praise God.

Seriously, Praise God.

Am I nervous to go to sleep alone tonight? You bet. Being single on days like this really f'n sucks. Damn if I don't want a strong burly man to hold me tight tonight. Instead, my mug of Earl Grey with cinnamon vanilla creamer will have to suffice. And tomorrow I will be adding more security measures to my home.

So, yeah, I am going to spend the holidays without my baby but there are much worse things in life. Am I sad about it? Absolutely. Will I be removing the baby seat from my car and putting it and all reminders of a baby in her room and shutting the door. Sure will. But I am not going to complain anymore. Instead, I am going to celebrate my single status, my freedom and make the best of this holiday season as I possibly can. I am going to decorate my home as if there was a child here to enjoy it. I am going to host dinner parties and cocktail parties. I am going to make gingerbread and Christmas cut out cookies. And I am going to thank God for what I do have and try to remain focused and faithful that this is all in His plan.

8 comments:

Robynhood said...

a million hugs to you Laura!!!

Robyn

Adopting1Soon said...

I totally get this.

And you're not selfish.

I have always driven past other people's decorated houses and warm fireplaces and thought it looked "better" than what I had.

Something about the holidays brings out the melancholia in me big time.

Being clinically depressed doesn't help either.

So no comments about "hang in there" from me this time. I get it. It sucks. Even though we both have great families. And this year I have Charlie so it will be great for me. Finally. It will be for you too. Next year. And I like that you are still going to do all those fun things and not wait. Live for today and enjoy your holidays despite the melancholia.

Oh and have you tried the "Coffee Mate" flavor called Vanilla Chai Spice creamer in your tea??? OMG, I"m addicted. I didn't even like tea a week ago and now I'm drinking 5 cups a day! It's almost better than chocolate/candy and it's helping my diet :-)

Adopting1Soon said...

I just read this and thought of you. It's a great post:

http://theeyesofmyeyesareopened.blogspot.com/2009/11/somehow-someday.html

Melissa said...

Wow. That's a great end to the week eh? Sorry to hear that happened; glad to hear they didn't even get in. I'm lucky enough to have my boy, but I get the deal about missing having a husband. Like last night when a mouse ran across the kitchen floor while I was loading the dishwasher. Or this morning when my dog caught, killed and left the wide-eyed corpse of said mouse on my carpet. Or this afternoon when when I had to plunge like nobody's business to no avail when all the drains in my place collectively backed up. Or maybe tomorrow when I'm scheduled to build stairs for my deck and paint my fence. Sigh. Maybe what I need is hired help, not a husband. lol. :)

hazel said...

First - Thank God you and your home are intact!

Second - I know EXACTLY how depressing it is to be the single one in the family - especially during the holidays. And you do not have to explain how you know it could be worse, blah blah blah. I sometimes feel the need to do that when I complain on my blog, but I think you should be able to just complain and let it all out with no guilt.

Next year WILL be very different for you, as you will have 'your own family.' In the meantime, keep your chin up and I hope you enjoy the holidays this year.

Chrissy said...

I am glad that I am not the only "negative Nelly" that has a blog..hehe!!

It does suck at times....this weekend I was outside all weekend doing yard work that would have been much easier with someone else.. then after 8+ hours working outside I had to go inside and do the inside work...because there is noone else!! ugh!

Single PAP said...

that's me.. negative Nelly! :-)
actually, i am in a much better mood now. thanks for the comments the link and the support. i laughed. you guys rock!

pat2006 said...

I would love to talk with you. Please email me at patfearley@yahoo.com.

Pat (addison and solomon's mom)