7.18.2008

Kick Me While I'm Down


No news on the job I want.. and still two weeks to go. Hoping it's still there on August 2nd when I was told to call back and check.

Meanwhile, the CEO from the yucky job called. On a Friday night. At 7pm. I spoke to her more about the job description. It seems interesting but when we got to salary I was disappointed to discover that the amount they advertised isn't what they'd be giving me because I have too many years of experience ('we can't afford you'). When I questioned how it appeared that in the other building the people are either doing the mentoring/professional development piece or have a classroom (not both) and I would be expected to have a classroom and mentor/do professional development --basically two jobs-- she got snippy and said something to the effect of 'well if you are looking to a job that has great professional development opportunities and a building where everyone is dedicated and professional, then great. But if you are looking at only salary and hours then this obviously isn't the place for you.' Um, excuse me?! It was just an observation and how 'bout the fact that in other careers people are actually compensated for long hours, years of experience, and an advanced degree?! Teaching is a joke sometimes... Praying the other school comes through because I don't think I can work in that environment.

Then I got some extremely worrisome news via conference call yesterday. I'm sure if you are reading this blog you know what that was about. Man, I need a job and I need one quickly!

And then, after all that, I went downstairs to check the mail and see that I have been called for jury duty. Great.

Today was not a good day.

So, now I am off to see what junk I have in the house to sell at my yard sale tomorrow. I sent flyers to about 25 neighbors telling them that tomorrow is our annual yard sale from 8-noon (which I created) and if they want to join all they need to do is set up a table and sell. Hopefully some other folks will join me and if not, hopefully at least I will make more than the pitiful $30 I made last week.

3 comments:

Tami said...

Yuck...I would say sushi but...not. what's in your cabinet and mine that we can cook and catch up? LOL tomorrow evening?

Robbin Hopkins said...

Hey Laura,
Welcome back and glad to see that you are feeling better. I say hang in their in regards to the conference call. You sacrificed a lot for this and it will come together. The A plan is the only plan so you have to hop to it. Time is but one factor. We are being pushed by outside factors that aren't quite definitive .

Your blog has been one of the first that I started reading and I say this as an e-friend. NOW is your time. Because you vacillate back and forth lets just say there are some higher powers working to let you know that this your season. Embrace it. I am waitlisted now and start to finish it took 4.5 months despite the three jobs and declining real estate market (I am a Realtor and landlord). Push forward. Persevere and I'll see you in ET.

Robbin

Single PAP said...

tami-sounds great! can we do tuesday?

robbin- thanks for your comments. this is my time and i am going ahead with ET despite the risk. you are right; my time is now. BTW, my cousin's wife spells her name the same way!