My friend, Andrea, flew out to hang out with me and I suggested we have lunch at the Al Burj Arab for my birthday. A friend of mine recommended it because otherwise you aren't allowed in the door. It is supposed to be the most fabulous, most extravagant hotel in the world and the only one granted a 7-star rating. It's so fabulous if you aren't staying there you aren't even allowed inside..unless you are eating in the restaurant where apparently there is a great view of The Palm or The World. I thought it would be an acceptable extravagance to eat there just this once. I mean, there is no way I will ever be staying there unless I somehow become fabulously wealthy. And really it goes without saying that even if I had that kind of money I probably wouldn't waste it like that. But I figured lunch was OK. I knew it was going to be expensive, but it was my birthday after all and I didn't know when I would be back in Dubai, if ever. Well when I arrived she told me she had called to make a reservation but decided against it. I was disappointed. I thought, 'I may only be in Dubai once. I want to say I have at least seen this'...until she told me the price. Guess how much lunch was going to set us back?!? $250. ...EACH! Yeah, we passed. lol
Check out some contrasting scenes...
Homes
Places of worship
Shopping
Street signs
Try not to cry. That's $1.74 (USD) per gallon.




4 comments:
wow...clearly you haven't told me so much about your trip. i didn't know Andrea visited you in Dubai! How nice!
come back over and see the rest of my pictures!
What a journey! So, I am guessing that you are not back in the states yet.?.? That is SO amazing that you were able to spend that much time in Ethiopia. I am so jealous. Where are you in the adoptions process now? Still working on the Dossier? Are you back with Gladney again?
Take Care...
Anne
hi anne,
yes i am back! it was a great experience. i am so fortunate that i was able to do that. i am back in the process, but trying to decide which agency best fits my needs...i'd love to stay with gladney but they have no other country that singles can switch to if something happens to ehtiopia and that makes me a bit nervous. but we'll see what happens. i will make a decision this week so i can continue the process cause i can't wait to get my daughter home!!!
Post a Comment