7.17.2008
Ethiopian Neighbors
When I was volunteering at the orphanage in Addis, I got to know the social workers and hear about the difficult but wonderful job they are doing in the lives of the children. They really are special people. In one conversation I learned that Tefera's wife lives in DC and he is moving here to join her this winter! I was so excited! Upon further conversation I learned that she lives four blocks from my house! Can you imagine? We will be neighbors!!! He gave me a package to give to her and today she stopped by my house so she could pick it up and we could meet. It's funny, as I was apologizing for taking so long to find a convenient time to get together she commented on how in the US it's all work-work-work and how much she misses just being able to visit with friends and family, like in Addis. I loved that about Ethiopia and I miss that too (and it makes me really not want to take the job offer with 10 hour days, but I digress...). Anyway, she was very sweet and I am so excited to have this Ethiopian connection. Below are some pictures of Tefera and the other social worker, Henok.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment