I do not have a green thumb. That has been made quite clear to me this summer when I decided I should do something with my yard. My parents, who are quite adept at planting, pruning, growing, clipping, mowing and creating a beautiful, peaceful landscape apparently did not pass that talent on to me. To their credit, they tried to give me a leg up. A couple of months ago when they were here they planted grass seed and impatiens and ground cover and gave me strict instructions to water it every day. Believe me, I tried. The intent was there anyway. And most days I did. But I learned that 'most days' doesn't cut it in DC. My front yard doesn't really look that much worst than any of my neighbors (well, maybe a little bit worse) but that's not really any consolation.
This first picture shows large patches of dead grass. Notice the sprinkler is on! (Doesn't help).

The next picture is the ground in front of the hedge. Now the hedge itself is an embarrassment because it has a huge, gaping hole in the front of it. It looked fine when I bought the house but this past winter there was an enormous block of ice on the top of it which eventually slid off breaking many branches with it. In an attempt to distract people from staring at it, I planted some impatiens in the front of it. They never grew so that didn't help. The mint though, to the right of the ADT sign, looks pretty good.

This third picture is the rose bush my parents sent me for my birthday. It looks pretty good as well although the roses it arrived with dried up and died. Hopefully more will appear next summer.
This first picture shows large patches of dead grass. Notice the sprinkler is on! (Doesn't help).
The next picture is the ground in front of the hedge. Now the hedge itself is an embarrassment because it has a huge, gaping hole in the front of it. It looked fine when I bought the house but this past winter there was an enormous block of ice on the top of it which eventually slid off breaking many branches with it. In an attempt to distract people from staring at it, I planted some impatiens in the front of it. They never grew so that didn't help. The mint though, to the right of the ADT sign, looks pretty good.
This third picture is the rose bush my parents sent me for my birthday. It looks pretty good as well although the roses it arrived with dried up and died. Hopefully more will appear next summer.
I think I have learned my watering lesson, though. I try to get out there every day and salvage what's left. I bought some beautifully vibrant petunias and planted them, in new soil and everything! They were so beautiful. I bought 4 plants, two bright pink and two deep purple. One of each has died. Below you can see the only one that is thriving. Quite pretty! Too bad the others didn't make it.
Maybe I should do a Japanese rock garden instead because this is sad.




3 comments:
That's hilarious!
HILARIOUS!! I love it! I, too, have struggled with landscaping, but on my third year of working with it, I am getting a little bit better. Not to say I haven't killed a few plants, but I am making progress :)
You don't even want to see the backyard! :-/ LOL
Post a Comment