7.10.2007

Maternity Leave

So, I got a copy of the employee handbook from my job and I will look at the benefits this weekend for adoptive parents. But our benefits person told me she's pretty sure maternity leave starts when the adoption is finalized. I told her the adoption would be finalized before I even left the country! What sense would that make for the time to start ticking while my baby is in one country and I'm in another?! Then I met informally with the heads of school to discuss day care and the Tuesday/Thursday class. She said that the T/Th class is full but that my child could just stay in daycare all day. Turns out that even at beyond two years of age, kids only go to school in the mornings and do daycare in the afternoons (kids of teachers). It's a mixed age group from infants to over 2. They said it would be fine to leave my child in daycare all day-all next year. That would be a lot cheaper as well. So everything was going fine until we started talking about the 6 weeks and how I hoped that my referral came around a vacation. At that point I got an earful about how employers really try to accommodate new parents by giving them 6 weeks and how dare I try to plan for more and take advantage of the system, blah, blah, blah. I have to say I am extremely impressed with myself for biting my tongue! (I'm maturing!) I am completely baffled and disgusted that American women only get six weeks to begin with and as a mother of four you would think she of all people would understand me hoping to get an additional (measly) two weeks with Spring Break. Uh, how about in the UK they get TWENTY-SIX weeks of 'Ordinary Maternity Leave' and 26 weeks 'Additional Maternity Leave' - making one year in total?!? In fact, the US lags behind most of the world in the paltry amount of leave mothers are given. It really shows how undervalued motherhood and family are in this country. Check out this article. I am annoyed. Extremely annoyed.

How would you have responded if berated for this?

2 comments:

Anne said...

I came across your blog from Tami's! I take it that you live in the DC area, too? I am so excited that there are finally more Gladney Families in our area!!! Up until a little bit ago, there were only two families in the mid-atlantic area using Gladney! (Have you joined the yahoo group?)

I was reading about when you are able to take maternity leave and I really think that your benefits handbook should say that all benefits become effective when you take guardianship of the child (i.e. the day you get him/her) not when the adoption is finalized because otherwise, as you said you'll have problems with leave. Plus- you will then have problems with insurance covering the baby the minute you get him/her---which is what you absolutely need! You can't wait until the adoption is final to go to the doctor. We just picked up our baby girl in March. I had no problems getting my work to acknowledge the trip and time afterwards the same as maternity leave and also they added her to insurance from the date of guardianship. Check it out---you definitely need your break to be when you go get your little babe! PS- on the note to a previous post of yours, I don't think it bad to have tried to plan when you get your child around vacas/spring break, etc... I think it's smart! I have a lot of teacher friends who specifically try to get pregnant to have the kid when they can maximize their time off. That's just good parenting and smart planning :)

Anyways- SO excited for you...the journey is incredible!! Ethiopia is amazing, Gladney is da bomb, your child will be an angel...the pros go on and on! We loved Gladney and hope to adopt again from Ethiopia thru them in the future!

Talk soon. Hope to meet soon also.

Anne :)

www.elizabethalem.blogspot.com

Single PAP said...

Hi Anne! So nice to get a comment from you. Your blog was one of the first ones I read a couple of months ago when I first started thinking about adoption and I would play your video over&over again and cry every time! Elizabeth is so adorable and that photo of her when she smiled at you and your husband in the hotel room showing her trust was so heartwarming! :-)

As far as my job and the whole benefits thing, that is still a sore spot. I don't know what their deal is :-/ Oh! And I forgot to mention that my head of school's nephew (who attends the school) was adopted from Russia! I guess at this point in her life she's just more focused on her school than on my adoption... I guess that's ok. Anyway, things will work out in the end. I keep looking at the outcomes of your adoption and others who adopted from Ethiopia and look forward to having a similar blessed experience.

I hope we get to meet soon, too. I might be able to get to the mid-Atlantic gathering (yes,I'm on the yahoo group). It feels like Elizabeth and Silas and the gang are celebrities and I can't wait to meet you all! :-)