7.19.2007

Unrelated post #1--Fixing Up My House


This is what my house looked like before --in the fall and winter. I liked the colors. The rust with the pale yellow looked pretty nice last fall but when spring came it didn't seem bright and cheerful enough. I am huge fan of natural light so having that one window blocked with the A/C unit annoyed me. Not to mention that it was just so unattractive! It had to go. And if it was going, central air had to come. It is too darn hot in this city in the summer to not have air conditioning. So, I had it installed. Installing air conditioning in an 80 year old house is no small feat, as my contractors reminded me constantly. They had to drill through drywall and cut holes in the hardwood floors. I had NO idea what kind of mess that was going to create. And, truthfully, I was pretty worried they didn't know what they were doing.



It stayed like that with holes and layers of dust while I recovered from my surgery. But finally the painters came and covered up my rust with more of the same pale yellow. I even got up the nerve to ask them to paint the woodwork white. I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I love it! It looks so much brighter now and I am happy (and much cooler!) :-)

4 comments:

Tracey said...

Your house looks like it is decorated in similar colors to mine (though yours appears much neater). I love your wine rack. One of the hardest parts of babyproofing for me was putting my beloved tripod wine rack in storage. There is no way it would survive these first few years with Hurrican Amara.

Rebecca said...

Cute, cute! I love the house! What a difference the window makes!

Anonymous said...

I bet you did not think about baby proofing your place. So much to do, so little time. Aren't you glad you have your blog friends to help you think of all the little details.

Single PAP said...

Thanks for the comments... Yes, rebecca, the window lets in so much more light! As far as babyproofing... true, true... I am nowhere near that! That's one good thing about the adoption process taking so long... I can have friends over for wine for another year!