I've done this before and it seems to work for me. And what is that you may ask? Well, it's called do everything at once. I can agonize for several more months about what is the best route or I can start doing something. For me that means starting the adoption process but still consider a pregnancy and volunteering or working abroad. So, to that end, I made a call to Gladney Adoption agency today! It takes about 9 months before I can actually travel to pick up my child and if in the meantime I get an international opportunity or get pregnant, I can figure out what path to take at that point. Adoption is the one aspect of my life that I can control right now. I can't start trying to get pregnant for 2 more months until I heal from the surgery and I am not even sure that I want to. And as of today I do not have any leads on international jobs or opportunities. But, I have done extensive research on adoption and already know that adopting a child is something I want in my life so I may as well begin that process now. If something comes up in the next month or two or before I have completed my home study, I will reevaluate at that time.
Meanwhile, the phone call was brief. She told me a bit about their agency and asked me if I had any questions. Basically, once I fax her the information sheet, which I already have from the packet I requested a few weeks ago, the process begins.....
6.29.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Laura, I read your blog from beginning to end. I am so proud of you and your reasons for your decision to adopt. I know you will be a wonderful mom. I don't have the experience in the area of international adoption (only domestic), but if I can be a resource to you in any way, do not hesitate to call on me.
I pray for your healing from your surgery and that this experience of adoption is all you hope for. I will continue to keep up with you through your blog. I am also going to pass your link on to my cousin. She is 33 and beginning to feel the same pressures you describe. She is an engineer with her own business and deeply feels the connection to Africa. She had our DNA traced for our family reunion. It was awesome. Perhaps your experience will inspire her. You never know how or when you will touch another's life.
This is all so exciting,
Jeannine
Post a Comment