6.13.2007

home improvements

No word from Gladney yet. I thought about calling again (even though I sent an email last week) but I think I will wait until after the informational session in July. Meanwhile, I did get a call from my social worker from DC Child and Family Services. She was wondering if she should close my file or if I planned on continuing to fill in the paperwork. I told her I would like to continue but as I told my MAPP trainers, as a first time parent I really would like to parent a child under 18 months. She said right now the youngest child is ten. But, I know that there are children who are abandoned in the hospital each year (we were told one or two) and I only need one, so it makes sense for me to continue with the process anyway. She proceeded to tell me that the wait could be years cause there are others who also want infants and it's basically a first come first serve process. I told here I was willing to take a chance. At this point, I don't know at what time or where my child will come from so I may as well work all angles. I can't help but think about the costs associated with international adoption.

Meanwhile, I went to my post surgery follow up appointment with my RE this morning. He said I was healing nicely and that numbness and shooting pains are part of the healing process. :-/ At least I can see a difference each week. I'm much better than last Wednesday and certainly better than the Wednesday before that (surgery day). I am just so ready to be active again--working out and socializing. But in the meantime, I am appreciating this time to get many things done. I expect that I will be off from work another two weeks and now that I am mobile, I hope to accomplish quite a few. I want to get my home business more organized (still need to even pick a name!), do some writing (several children's book ideas) and many, many things for this money pit I purchased, my 80 year old house. There are so many things to be done before it's "finished" in my eyes but I have to keep within a certain budget cause I don't want to do so many improvements that I can't recoup them in the resale. Here's a list of things I would like to do if money and resale value weren't factors...

First floor/outside

1. landscaping-- my parents came and planted grass seed, ground cover and impatiens. All are growing nicely. I want to plant some more flowers and bushes. Then I need to tackle the backyard. Oy vey! That is a project. My neighbor's mulberry tree is dropping berries everywhere making most of the yard unusable. I asked him to cut down the branches that are over my property and he refused. Well, he said he would for $300. :-/ Is that legal? Isn't he responsible for doing that himself? Must look into that. Then I want a new, larger deck, a larger patio area and a privacy fence.

2. kitchen-- It's so dark! It drives me crazy. I want natural sunlight but I am not going to put in larger windows so I will make it lighter in other ways. Right now it has brown cabinets. Oak I think. Not my taste. Need to get the cabinets refaced. I want white cabinets, some with glass doors. Then I plan to replace the counter tops. Everything is basically new since the previous owner renovated in the last few years but it's just not my taste. It annoys me every time I go in there so I know it needs to be done. :) Must price granite.

3. light fixtures-- thinking about recessed lights but haven't made a decision on that.

4.window treatments-- right now there are ugly plastic vertical blinds in the LR and DR. Those must go. I have a huge picture window in the front of the house that I am not sure how to cover. I like wood blinds and plantation shutters but a sheer curtain might also be nice. (Must have as much light as possible!!) :-) In the den I have those great $5 paper blinds from Home Depot but I think I want the kind of blinds that open from the top down. My neighbors have a bunch of trash in their yard that I am trying to block from my vision. :-/
Need to price those. And that way I can keep the top part uncovered year round to let in more sunlight! :)

5. den/sunroom- this area needs to be a den/playroom area so that when I am preparing dinner (gosh, I will have to do that, won't I?) my child can be entertained. I am toying with the idea of building built in window seats with storage underneath. Not the kind you lift up but open storage with baskets so my child can clean up her own toys. I do not like houses overrun with toys! :) So, these window seats might be a bit deeper than normal so we can stretch out on them comfortably. And then put in a soft rug and a TV.

6. paint the woodwork

Basement

My basement is one big room right now with a full bath and washer and dryer. Eventually it would be ideal to make this a large playroom/den/guest room. Plans are to

7. build bookshelves to separate the washer/dryer from the rest of the room. I envision the shelves coming up to about my shoulder to completely hide them when in the main part of the room. Again, baskets there for toys.

8. new carpet

9. flat screen TV

10. Pottery Barn couch. I saw this amazing couch that is like 6' deep! I imagine a red one down there where me and the kid(s) and the dog and my man can all stretch out with a big bowl of popcorn and a movie! :)

Upstairs

11. level my bedroom floor. It slants! I had the ingenious idea of laying a ramp type piece of wood on top and then carpeting over it so it's flat. Not sure how this is going to get done. Anyone have any brilliant suggestions?

12. new ceiling fans for the nursery/den and hallway

13. carpeting in nursery/den -- wondering if i should just carpet the entire upstairs?

14. fix up the window seat area in the master bedroom (which i use as a home office)

And finally, since I just had AC installed :) I need to have someone come over and do the corner beading and mudding (I think that's what it's called) and then repaint everywhere that got all messed up on the install.

Phew!!! Do all this and still have money left for international adoption? It's a lot! That's why it's imperative that I do more with my home business and book ideas! Must go put some energy into those now! Bye.

1 comment:

Tami said...

you need my contractor...