4.02.2009

Cribs

I have started looking into nursery furniture and I thought I would start with the crib. (Actually, I started with bedding as it was recommended that I buy that before I paint the nursery and while thinking about bedding I started thinking about cribs.)

Anyhoo~I was looking at cribs and bedding and I started reading how dangerous cribs can be (splinters, injuries, entrapment, strangulation, etc.). So then I looked at the bumpers created to protect the babies from the slats only to discover that they, too, can pose a suffocation or strangulation hazard. So I figured I would buy a crib without slats-- but there appears to be no such thing!

Can anyone explain why they continue to design cribs with slats if the slats are hazardous as well as the bumpers used to cover them?

I mean, seriously, wtf?

4 comments:

Peta-maree said...

there are product that a lot of my friends use that helps with this problem

It looks a bit scary but it works

https://www.totsinmind.com/

P

Rachael said...

Oh, I'm so excited for you! You're going to have a baby in your house soon :) Anyways, we were the same exact way with all the SIDS/suffocation/other fears so we used the mesh "breathable" crib bumpers. R still has hers on her crib. It keeps their legs and arms from sticking out of the slats, but there's no padding or thick fabric to get smothered by. The mesh doesn't pad the crib slats, so if the baby slams against the wood it would still hurt, but it prevents you from waking up to a screaming baby with an appendage stuck out the side. It looks like there are several brands out there now so just pick your crib first and make sure you get one that fits.

I can't wait to see pictures of your nursery...

Anonymous said...

Because they were designed by men. :(

Sen

Robbin Hopkins said...

the slats are so the baby can look out but not get out... like jail LOL.