I had a dream last night. Or maybe it was a nightmare. I woke up with my face still twisted up in pain and my mouth contorted as if silent screams were emanating from deep within.
I dreamt that I got text message from my father. It said, "Congratulations, Mommy. She is so beautiful." I called him right away because at this point I hadn't seen my child. (somehow I knew in the dream he wasn't referring to a photograph). When I called him I discovered he and my mom and my sister had gone to Ethiopia and picked up my child and were caring for her back home. They said they were trying to be helpful because they knew I had to work. I was sick to my stomach. Sick because they got to experience the first meeting at the care center; sick because they got to hold her first; sick because at this point it had been about a week and I was sure my child had bonded to them.
Is it obvious that bonding time with my child is on my mind? Becoming a new mom is when it really sucks to be American. As you can imagine, my maternity benefits are not enviable. Sure, I can take loads of time off--in fact my contract states they will save my job for up to 3 years, but of course this three years is unpaid. Being single, that benefit isn't terribly useful. I was talking to a Canadian friend of mine the other day. She has a newborn at home so I asked her what her paid maternity leave was like and she casually said, "Oh, it's about a year." A year? Really? Really. She gets 15 weeks maternity, paid, and then an additional 35 weeks parental benefits, paid. Yup, that's about a year. I knew Europeans had it good, but Canadians, too?
I'm wondering, how much time should I be taking off? I'd love to take a year but that's not an option. Six months is not really an option either. I imagine my daughter will be somewhere between 6-18 months when I bring her home. For the smoothest transition, to build trust, to ensure bonding how much time do you think I need?
4.21.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




14 comments:
I am a working mom too. I had your worries exactly just before my son was born. My son is six and the biggest thing I've learned since he was born is that there are a million or more ways to raise a child and they are all great. I learned this from all of the families I've met through my sons daycare, preschool and now grade school. So firstly, take heart that no matter how it all works out, she and you will not only be OK but with love and friendship and support you will thrive.
I had three months at home (I did a bit of work while I was home) and then I started to transition back to work. My husband was home but he needed to work to. We had a nanny but were very unhappy with that arrangement. My son didn't need one more adult hovering over him - being an only child what he needed was friends. So after a couple of months we found a wonderful daycare where he was very happy for 4 years. When he was a toddler and only going three days a week he would ask to go there on his 4 other days. Even as a baby his face lit up when we walked in the place in the morning. babies, toddlers and children love to be with their peers. So know that if you find a good place, it will no doubt be much harder on you than on your child.
if you can transition starting with two days a week -even if only for a couple of weeks - i highly recommend it. They then have a chance to know that you are going to come back each time.
You will also most likely meet other adoptive parents at the daycare and for sure meet other single parents. This will be a huge resource for you. And the daycare will be hugely helpful in getting a nap schedule going (we were unable to do that ourselves!) and in helping to get her preschool ready (sippy cups instead of bottles - buttoning coats, sharing and being polite)
I actually think it's more helpful to have time off when they are a bit older and things can be tough. if you're not going to be paid for your time off and you find her bonding with you well you might consider saving up some leave (or money so that you can take it ) and take off some time at the beginning of kindergarten or other times of transition.
As they get older they don't need us less they - in my opinion - need us more.
Maternity leave sucks doesn't it! I took 6 weeks off with Ruby before she transitioned to my parents and day care. I took 4 weeks off with Medina before she started school. With both girls, I would have liked longer off (well, Medina was ready for school but I would have liked to be there everyday after school for awhile). However, I think both girls have managed with no ill effects of such short bonding times at home. Good luck in figuring out how to manage it.
I was only able to take off 7 weeks total (the single unpaid thing got me too). We were home for 6 weeks together after travel and did great. I wish we could have had longer but it worked out fine...Pacey and I are very bonded, she really likes me for some reason:-) I think that no matter how long you can take, you'll be fine. You ask how I know?? Well, I know because you are already worried about this. That tells me that you will do everything you can no matter how long you get off...to make sure you are bonding appropriately!!
Oh and that dream...awful..I would of woke up in tears:-(
Single here, too.
We are allowed to take our stored sick leave (but only if our doc asks for it--for medical reasons, which my doctor said she will. Obviously, though, that isn't a lot of time!
I'm taking a month of full-time, and then going part-time for 2 months. My hopeful daughter is 2 and a half.
oh, yeah, we can take sick leave but as a new employee i won't have much accrued--about 10 days and one week of that will be in-country..
sigh
Funny, another single PAP emailed me today and asked my advice (she clearly doesn't realize that I have no idea what I'm doing either) about the same thing. As I told her... I plan to take about 6 weeks and then play it by ear. Little Bit will be going to school by the end of that 6 weeks - if not before - unless something is terribly awry - and I'm going to try to limit my work to times he's in school for a couple of months afterward. I'm with Kristine in that I think he'll enjoy the time spent with other kids.
Canadians do have it good and can have a year, but we get paid 55% of our regular income. Okay, that's still good, I know.
I think for the sake of bonding, it would be great to tighten the budget and take the time that you can afford. And after that, it's about the quality of time. I mean, you have great holidays and can leave after school and do your work in the evening after bedtime. That's what I've done, though it's tiring for me to work in the evenings. My guy spends 7.5 hours a day in care, 8:30-4:00, which is more than I'd like, but not as much as most.
Just make sure to really spend time with her and play a lot and read and go to parks and whatever. Be with her, and she will be well-bonded to you. I really think that it is about quality, and have no doubt that that won't be a problem for you. I'm looking forward to you becoming a mom. You'll do great, no doubt.
I'm in Canada but I don't get paid leave either -- maybe because my employer is based in the US. I get 37 weeks unpaid, job-protected time off. I haven't decided how much time I'll take yet - hopefully 6 months but maybe closer to 4. Although my job is protected, being the sole provider, I'm worried about being away for too long during this recession.
Your dream sounds absolutely horrible. Try to wipe it from your mind.
Yes, we "educators" think it is good :) while figuring this thing out..I naturally assumed I could use short term disability..WRONG!! That is only if you GIVE BIRTH! So I am trying my best to save all my sick days, I have about 50!! And...PRAYING..that everything goes smoothly and if I "get my paperwork" in at around the right times, maybe it would fall that I travel a few weeks before summer break!! we shall see!!
Alot to think about!! I am just praying that God will aling things up so that it works for the good!
I am spoiled I admit it... being a Canadian I get 35 weeks off, the first two I am not paid for but after that I get $410 a week for the remaining 33 weeks. I can take up to a year, but wont be paid for anything after 35 weeks. Yes it is significantly less than I make working, but still doable... I am not happy about people on maternity leave getting more money than parental leave, but at least I get something. I cant believe that the U.S isn't more on top of Maternity/Parental leave benefits.. I assumed you had the same. I am hoping to take about 6 months off before transitioning to my mom and daycare..
It's a scary thing the whole bonding and attachment issue.. I worry about it myself but with all the love and attention you will shower on your daughter I know everything will be fine.. Dont you worry..
You're right - maternity leave in the US stinks! Canadians and Europeans have it right when they get up to a year, or more, of leave.
I've never been in your situation of adopting, I think it's hard to try and figure the right amount of time to take off and make it affordable to do so. I think the "average" time for working moms to go back to work is usually between 6-8 wks.
You're probably already doing this, but if not, start putting away as much money as you can in a savings account so that time off won't hurt you too badly.
By the way, you won one of the coupons for the free Haagen-Daazs! Just send me your address when you get the chance!
yay! free ice cream -- maybe that'll help soothe the pain of no maternity leave!
mmmmm, Rocky Road ice cream!! I swear it's the cure for anything!!1
Oh, honey, that was not a happy dream. I'm so glad you got sweet sympathetic understanding comments about everything and about the whole maternity leave issue. And poo on those negative folks trying to dampen your enthusiasm. And grrrrrr.Of course adoptive moms should have maternity leave!!! What century are we in, anyway?
It is getting more and more exciting,your whole exhausting, long, lovely adventure.Hug. mom
Post a Comment