I first went to Africa in 1981. My father had been awarded a Fulbright Scholarship and he chose to take our family to Nigeria where he could study and teach. I spent my junior year of high school in a boarding school, an international school run by missionaries. It was an incredible learning experience, not only because it was a welcome change from the uniforms and cliques of my private girls' school in Pennsylvania, but because it was there where I got my first taste of other cultures, other languages, other customs, traditions, values. The lessons I learned from my friends, my host families and living in Africa taught me far more than the lessons taught in my school. It was my first introduction to Africa and the beginning of my life-long love affair of its people, its rich culture and its beauty.
It was twenty-five years before I made it back. I went back in 2007, this time to Senegal. Touching down in Dakar was so exciting. I had planned the trip via email and when I arrived I wasn't sure if my friend would even be there to meet me. When my passport got confiscated by a gun-toting official (I didn't have an address for where I was staying) and I spent 45 minutes wandering around the airport looking for a friend I hadn't seen in eight years, my excitement turned to a mixture of fear and self-preservation. What would I do if she never showed up? I had decided I would spend the night in the airport and in the morning, in the daylight, I would befriend some English-speaking backpackers and hang with them for the next ten days (and, I suppose, at some point seek the help of the American Embassy). Those 45 minutes were filled with great anxiety and fear but I was also energized at the prospect of venturing around Senegal by myself and finding my own way. I have always had an adventurous side; I am a true free spirit. To me, it was an opportunity to do something exciting and different and I prepared myself for the challenge. That wasn't necessary as we did eventually find each other and I got my passport back. Even though my luggage never made it, my ten days in Dakar were still thrilling and energizing. Dakar brought back so many memories! The music, the Muslim call to prayer, the goats in the streets, the dark skin of its people, the sights, the sounds... my memories and love of Africa all came flooding back. I loved Dakar.


This weekend I watched I Bring What I Love, a documentary about the life and music of Youssou N'Dour, a Senegalese musician. It was an incredible film of a man's love for his faith, his country and his music. While watching the film I was brought to tears with not only seeing someone live their life authentically and with passion but also as I was reminded once again of my deep love for the continent, the music, the people.
As N'Dour put it, 'Africa's various languages, tribes, cultures and traditions shouldn't be considered barriers but contributions to the richness of the continent'. I couldn't agree more. Each place I have visited has it's own richness and beauty and I am so grateful for the opportunity to add to the richness of the fabric of my family by becoming the mother of an African child. Oh Africa, how I love you and how humbled I am to have the opportunity to raise one of your own.




3 comments:
this is such a beautiful post! thank you for sharing your life. reading it was a wee bit like traveling with you.
What a great story!! Thanks for sharing! I am not doing to well with reading up on the country so thanks for the details about the movie! Will be checking it out soon!
Oh, how I love this beautiful description of your feelings. It makes me happier than ever that we were able to go to Nigeria and that you so appreciate so many years after everything that you experienced there as a teen ager. Lovely writing.
moi (unbiased, of course)
Post a Comment