10.18.2009

Busy, Busy!!

There is simply not enough time in the day. This weekend I felt like I worked on stuff non-stop and, as usual, I have barely scratched the surface. I had Friday off for our State teacher's association meeting so I was up by 6:00 and at Home Depot by 8am. My dishwasher died sometime last year and I have been managing without one. Since it's been just me and I don't entertain much and I am fine with seeing dishes sit for a day or two. OK, I am not fine with that but sometimes it happens cause I am too tired to do them and since it's just me and I rarely cook it's manageable. I know better than to think I can keep up this routine with two people in the house, though. I can't imagine being surrounded by my stuff plus bottles and/or sippy cups and all the other additional accumulated dishes for a couple of days. So, I trudged down to HD and bought a new dishwasher. The cheapest model. I hope it lasts a few years until I can afford a nicer one. I also bought a new toilet seat. Mine broke off the hinges and slipping off the toilet at the crack of dawn isn't fun, let me tell you. I know.. tmi. So, dishwasher and toilet seat. Necessities, yes, but damn I hate spending money on crap like that!

I left HD and headed to Target where I got a new shower curtain and one towel. I know, who buys one towel at a time? Me. Basically I'm too cheap/poor/frugal/practical to buy more when I have several perfectly good towels already. And I just spent a few hundred on a dishwasher :( But I wanted at least one that matched my new shower curtain so I bought one. I also picked up some cleaning supplies for my marathon cleaning session I had on tap for later in the day. After Target I went to pick up some children's clothing hangers someone was giving me for free (love Freecycle!) and peeked in Goodwill to see if there was anything interesting. Found two cute 2T dresses for $1 each!

Around 12 o'clock the heating company that I had hired came over to replace my thermostat which wasn't sending the signal to the boiler. I just bought it last year (the thermostat that is) but it's been temperamental. No heat in 40 degree weather is tolerable for me with a space heater and a down comforter but I knew I had to get it fixed before I come back from Ethiopia with a little one. Had to do it, but dang it if I hated writing that check, too! Unfortunately, I also learned that my hot water heater is the cause of the leak in my basement. Grrr... I saw there was leak a couple of months ago cause the carpet had mold on it, but I wasn't able to locate the source. Great. A new hot water heater will run me in the upper hundreds. Not to mention replacing the carpet. I wish someone had told me home ownership was one bill after another. I don't know if I would have bought a house. It's a freakin' money pit.

Later on in the afternoon I went to visit a daycare center recommended by a friend. It's not far from my house, the kids looked happy and well-cared for and it's *only* $250/week. I put my name on the waiting list. Right now the next projected infant opening isn't until May but as of now, it's my only option. I am having a really, really hard time trying to find affordable daycare or one with a space for an infant. Of course, it would be really helpful if I knew the age of my child. I tell them "probably an infant but she could be up to about 18 months." Seriously vague. It makes it hard to find a place when you can't even tell them if you will need an infant space or a toddler space. If I had options I could tell one place infant and another place toddler, but so far this is the only place I have found. The owner was pretty understanding about the situation though. For one, their infant room is for children from birth to 14 months and I think she will fall in that range. But she understood as her twin neices were adopted from Ethiopia. They are in kindergarten now but she was so excited to share her family's story. I will probably put my child there if a space opens up.

After the daycare visit, I went to the grocery store and came back home and cleaning, cooked and did laundry. A few hours later I plopped down for a movie and was asleep my 9:30.

Saturday was the marathon cleaning session. I cleaned for 5 or 6 hours straight! Excuse the poor camera phone quality, but seriously, check out my fridge:


It's sparkling clean. Makes me so happy! Can I just tell you, though, that it's completely exhausting doing everything by yourself. I tell myself that all this work and all the details in life need to be shared. One person shouldn't be expected to do it all alone. If I were married, my husband could take care of some things. If I were rich the housekeeper/personal assistant/chef/butler could take care of some things. The only other way to make my life easier is to move where life is less expensive (where I could afford to hire help on my small salary). I'm not sure what my life holds for next year (marriage, coming into some serious cash or moving) but I do know that something's gotta give. I think I'm tired now! I can only imagine how much more tired I will be as a new mom.

The heating man had to come back to finish up his work on Saturday and was here for a couple of hours. While he fixed my thermostat I cooked more food, cleaned, took out the trash, returned phone calls and did more laundry. Then I watched another movie and crashed.

Today, Sunday, I had five tasks on tap: go to church, register for a test required to teach English as a second language (trying to create options for next year), fold clothes, address fundraising letters and do some schoolwork. I haven't done any of them. I better get crackin' cause I am not going to bed without at least crossing one of those off the list. I'm going to start with addressing the fundraising letters. I can not believe I haven't sent them out yet! In it I ask for donations for my yardsale on October 31st and donations for the gift bags. Just with posting the letter on this blog and on Facebook I have gotten some donations already! I am so appreciative!! Thank you A1S for the granola bars! Anyone else who would like to donate for the gift bags still can. See sidebar for the address.

Now, off to address envelopes. And then maybe (if it's not too late) tackle this:


Man, I am so screwed when I have to take care of someone else. LOL

5 comments:

Adopting1Soon said...

When I traveled to ET I met a couple adopting from our agency who lived in China. They were both TEACHERS and had all sorts of awesome bennies, including paid housing, summers off, paid airfare to the US twice a year, a housekeeper and a nanny, etc.

Maybe you should look into teaching in a developing country?

Maybe a country in Africa?

Jennifer said...

I had the same problem when I was searching for daycare options - didn't know when my child would be here or how old she would be. Trust that you will find the right thing. Things seem to work out when they need to.

As far as cleaning.... Be glad you can do it now. I find it extremely hard to clean at all with a 2 year old. First of all she wants all my attention. If I do manage to clean while she is around - she is behind me "helping" which usually means more cleaning!!

Hope you hear some news soon!!

Chrissy said...

Congrats on all you are getting done!! I feel your pain, but have been procastinating like a "mad woman" and yes...there SHOULD be some help with all that! I am tired of being Wonder Woman :-)

Single PAP said...

Yes, A1S, i am totally looking into that. I had accepted a job in Manila with fabulous benefits like that last year but had to give it up when my agency told me it was adoption or overseas job. I am keeping ALL options open for next year.. including moving abroad. The benefits rock!!

Jennifer, yeah, it's hard--the cleaning and the finding daycare. I hope both work themselves out. They're going to have to!

Chrissy - thank you! wonder woman is sooo overrated. i am ready to be taken care of!!

Shelby said...

That refrigerator is a thing of beauty. Enjoy it while you can.