
Still looking for a job. I find what seem like great opportunities: schools with a mission statement I support, small class size, a strong academic curriculum, a variety of non-academic offerings, opportunities for professional development, a diverse student body, etc.. until I review the salary. Unfortunately I work in a country where teachers with experience and advance degrees aren't respected and sought after by public school districts, and independent schools often don't have the budget to pay us what we're worth. We all know that the salaries of teachers and administrators in the United States don't reflect the tremendous responsibility we have. And, yes, I knew this when I got into the field but that doesn't stop me from being frustrated about it now that I have the experience that would command a significantly higher salary in most other fields. And how crazy is this?! I applied to work in a district where I taught for two years but learned that they
penalize you if you leave won't recognize more than nine years of teaching experience when they determine pay. So even though I have 15 years of experience, they will only pay me as if I have taught nine. Can you believe that? So basically, if I hadn't ever left, I could be making $18,000 more than they will give me if I get rehired. What kind of sense does that make?! So I continue the search. I had another interview yesterday and the salary would actually be quite good (for teaching) but it's an hour commute. I'm spoiled; I have never commuted more than 30 minutes to a job and have always said I never would do more that that. Quality of life is important and gas prices are astronomical. But I may have to suck it up if I get an offer. On Friday I will attend a job fair for the school district where I started my teaching career fifteen years ago. Their pay scale is about in the middle and the commute could be as short as 20 minutes so it may make the most sense in the end. All that extra commuting time will only mean even less time for my baby so I pretty much know what I will do. Now all I need is an offer!
No comments:
Post a Comment