5.28.2008

It's A lot

It's a lot to deal with...the crushing poverty, seeing people hungry in the streets, illness, lack of infrastructure, inaccessibility to clean water for all, more flies during a meal than I've dealt with in an entire summer, imagining the grief the children must be dealing with in a losing one or both parents or death or separation from siblings, unemployment, difficult weather conditions, dirt, dust, diesel fumes...







I've only been here one week and it's beginning to wear me down. I feel like running off to the Hilton to get a mani/pedi and relax by the pool but then I feel guilty for having that option. Guilt is a wasted emotion, I've been told, but it's hard not to feel guilt or at least confusion or at just be disturbed on some level at how inequitable the world is; how my life experience is so vastly different from others; how some people seem to suffer so much more than others. Why is this? And if the question can't be answered, which it can't, then how does one deal with this? How does one help? On one had the problems in the world are just too numerous and one can become paralyzed by it and choose to turn a blind eye to it. But if can't do that, where do you begin to help when you barely have enough to sustain yourself and your own family? I don't know, I have no answers but these are certainly questions that have been weighing heavily on my mind lately.




It's interesting that before I came here I felt so overwhelmed about so many things and now after only one week I know I can go back and deal with those issues a lot better. My problems pale in comparison. When you see people living here on so little, you realize how much you really can go without. I can change some things in my lifestyle when I return to the States and that extra savings can then be allotted for other things. I'd like to organize a group when I return, of like-minded folks, who want to do something for the people of Ethiopia. I am not sure what this is exactly or in what area I want to concentrate my efforts but I would like to remain connected in a way other than through adoption in a way that can benefit more than just my one child. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura, Bettina here. I have some great stuff to show you if you'd like to get involved! I'm working on creating a program in Ethiopia for girl mothers who are the victims of child trafficking in the country. If you send me your email I'll send you the proposal to see if you'd like to get involved!

Bettina
Bettina.keppers@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I just caught up with your blog and you are in AFRICA????? How great is that???

I have loved reading your posts. About 5 years ago I helped write a program about empowerment and abstinence for an HIV/AIDS awareness program in East Africa. Then I visited, and it just gets under your skin, eh? That is why I keep going back and why I am now running 3 charities there (but not running them very well now that I have a million kids...).

I love the details, so please keep writing. My advice to you is just making a difference each day, in your own way. In many ways, trying to help in Africa feels like the little boy with his finger in the dike...and people have been throwing money at Africa for decades...it isn't always about the money. You just learn to pick your battles and do the best you can.

Also, my experience in trying to start a charity is how valuable it is to have people on the ground there who can help you. No point reinventing the wheel. Sometimes the best thing you can do is give your time/money to an existing charity. They all need time and money. I have a great list of ones that are in Ethiopia (ones that we use for our efforts there). The red tape is shocking and it can be nice to just fundraise or give your time to those who have to spend more time than they would like on admin things... just a thought. That is what I have done in the Bahamas for my daughters charity (I wanted to have one project for each of my kids in their country of origin)...

LOVE THIS!!! The homesickness/culture shock always hits me on about day 10..so go get your mani/pedi that day and just remember that feeling guilty about the things you do have isn't worth the time... just use your time and talents the best you can to make a difference in the lives of others, and especially yourself...

~Bek

Anonymous said...

I don’t have any ideas for you. I will certainly be keeping up with your blog and would like to participate in whatever you decide to organize. Loving the idea!