I want to adopt.
But shouldn't I do this when I'm more settled professionally?
I want a biological child.
But I'm afraid of birth defects.
I don't want to be a single parent.
But if I wait too long I'll be old or barred from doing it.
I want my own business.
But what about health insurance?
I want to volunteer abroad.
But is that a good use of money saved?
I want to get an MSW.
But won't I have to start at a low salary?
I want to stay here and teach in an international school.
But wouldn't teaching abroad be so much more fulfilling?
I want to quit my job.
But then I won't pass my home study.
f*!%k.
I have prayed and prayed and PRAYED on this for the past year. I have started meditating, too, cause I read somewhere that prayer is like asking and meditating is listening. I have been listening, Lord, and I swear I am no closer to an answer than a year ago.
I know that fear and faith can't co-exist and my fears overwhelm me. I really need to internalize that everything will be alright, no matter what the choice. I often think of Jocelyn , a young woman who adopted as a single woman, when I have doubts. I am so impressed with her. She had fears but ended up adopting alone and is so happy and grateful for her son Issac. I have never even met her but I think of her often. She said in one of her posts "I decided that I would hold off adopting till I was 27 or 28. I didn't want to adopt a child as a single woman. I wanted a partner, someone to share the ups and downs with. But the day I saw Issac's picture, I knew in my heart, he's it. The one, no doubt about it. I waited for months to see if they found him a two parent home, and they didn't. Then one Monday morning I woke up, and I wasn't scared anymore. I felt like God was saying to me, "you won't do it alone, you'll do it with me". I need that kind of peace and self-confidence so I can make the leap into something --adoption, trying an IUI, quitting my job, volunteering abroad or starting my own business--something! And whatever it is, I will be fine. And if I am not fine, well I can figure it out then. Right now all I am is paralyzed with indecision. I have had all sorts of advice...
"Do not adopt. You are not ready and it's too expensive."
"You should adopt. It is such a beautiful thing to do."
"Don't have a child. Why would you want to go through a pregnancy all alone?"
"You should try to have a baby first. You don't want to look back with regret for not trying."
"Don't become a parent before you find the man. He is just around the corner and you need time to go out and date to find him. If you have the kid first, you will never find a man."
"Girl, don't quit your job. It's rough out here."
"Why would you stay in a job where you aren't fulfilled? Life is too short. Besides, you're single. You don't have a child to care for or a husband to consult. Just follow your heart and do it."
"Move abroad! Anyone who says you shouldn't is jealous because they don't have that option and they are saddled at home with babies and husbands. Do it now while you are free."
Dang.
From now on I am going to cover my ears and close my eyes and say "la la la la la la la" whenever someone comes to me with advice!!!!!!!!!! I don't need to hear any more!! NO MORE ADVICE!!! This is my decision alone to make and I will do it... pray for me. :-/
| You Are a Black and White Cookie | ![]() You're often conflicted in life, and you feel pulled in two opposite directions. When you're good, you're sweet as sugar. And when you're bad, you're wicked! |





7 comments:
Oy vay! You have so many big decisions. I don't blame you for covering your ears.
I think the meditative approach is the right one, otherwise you won't hear the answers for all that 'noise.'
I am praying for you!
Oh, man, I hear you! It's rough to be in the fog of indecision.
I was in very much the same place 2 years ago. I ended up quitting my (solo) gig, getting a new one, and going forward with my adoption plans. Still waiting for Mr. Wonderful to show up. :-)
No advice to offer, however - I'm sure you'll find the right path for you.
I couldn't have written this post better! I feel exactly how you feel (minus the cookie part.. I don't analyze those, just eat them).
How have you been? Any decision made yet about teaching abroad or whatever your next steps will be?
and here I was just being impressed at your new beautiful, organized office...
It does seem like you get a lot of advice at this point. For what it is worth, I am the mother of a bio child, adopted children and one with birth defects... and I wouldn't trade any of them. I was even a "single mom" for awhile.
They each bring their own worries and joys. So does NOT doing any of those things. Sometimes I think that we are asked to make our decisions and then ask if we made the right one. Maybe there is no right one. Each choice can have good and bad outcomes, depending on how you handle each bump in the road....
I don't envy your choices, but I know that whatever you do choose, if you are at peace with what you decide, it will all be ok in the end.
NOW you're talking! I'm glad to read this post. Don't listen to anyone but yourself and make the best decision for you. You have everything that you need to make that decision. You're awesome, just know that you are and you'll make the best decision. Listen he is there, the answer is there...
thanks everyone for your comments and support!!!! bek, i especially appreciate your comment that every decision comes with joys and worries--sometimes i think i am waiting for the perfect choice to reveal itself when no choice will ever be perfect. tasha, no decision yet on the going abroad thing... the job fair is in a month but the int'l school in addis won't be in attendance so that's disapppointing and makes me less interested in going... i'll keep you posted.
well said on both sides. I prefer to ride the fence on these issues. I like the sensation ;)
Seriously, you have to just pick one and go with it and don't look back.
You and not your friends knows which boat to float.
I have no advice. You'd be certain not to take it anyways.
Now pass me a cookie. There are cookies here right? Only I'll need more than one.
Post a Comment