11.16.2008

baptism


I just came back from a lovely celebration for T.J., my friend Tefera's baby. (I met Tefera in Ethiopia; he was one of the social workers in the orphanage and he is here for 6 months to be with his wife and newborn). Tefera said that Ethiopian baby boys get baptized when they are 40 days old and baby girls when they are 80 days old. Daniel, known as T.J.(Tefera junior) is 40 days old today. I didn't go to the ceremony-I'm sure it was all in Amharic- but I was invited to their house to enjoy some traditional food and drink. Yummy injera, doro wat, gomen, and other veggies and some other delicious chicken dish and some homemade tej--the honey wine. Very tasty!

T.J. is a cute, little munchkin. I got to hold him for a bit. He fell right to sleep in my arms. :) There was one other American woman there but otherwise I was surrounded by Ethiopians and their beautiful children. So, so adorable!

On the homestudy front, I'm down to the final stretch. I need to do the Hague training videos and a couple of pieces of paperwork and I'm waiting for my final two references and then I think I'll actually be done! My new self-imposed deadline is November 30, 2008. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Jebena said...

Here's my "wishing luck" to you!

hazel said...

That baptism sounds lovely. Isn't it lovely to have a baby fall asleep in your arms? You can so make that Nov 30th deadline.

Nicholas said...

You CAN do it!!!! What a treat!