It's strange that I've been writing on this blog long enough to be repeating holidays. Journey to Motherhood was the title I gave it, cause when I started it last May, motherhood was very much on my mind and I thought at the time that I was ready. Last year at this time I had just downloaded the I600A. Who knew that it was going to take me eleven months to actually file it?
When I began the process last year, referrals were coming really quickly, around 3 months in a 3-5 month estimated time frame. Although I had a great job with on site day care and everything was set for a baby to come into my life but it all seemed to be too quick. I was under the impression that I would be a parent in March sometime and I just couldn't quite visualize it. Motherhood was something I really wanted but I couldn't imagine how I'd manage as a single parent--I didn't want to be a single parent--so I did everything at a snail's pace until I eventually decided to just put the whole thing off.
After rereading last year's Labor Day Weekend post, I clicked on the comments. Someone commented that day that she was in the same stage in the adoption process--just filed her I600A so I went to her blog today to see some pictures of her child. I couldn't believe it, but she hasn't gotten her referral yet! It's weird to think that I was so sure I was going to be a mom so quickly that I put it off, but according to her time frame my child probably wouldn't even be home. With no referral yet and then having to wait for a court date and then to travel, I imagine the earliest she (we) would be in Ethiopia would be January/February--almost a year later than I had anticipated. I think if I had known that I might have continued. That gave me that extra year after all. But meanwhile, here I am stuck in a holding pattern while I look for the right job before I can continue and who knows how long it will now be before I can bring my child home.
I had hoped to finish my homestudy by the end of August. Well, that didn't happen. I will now project it to be done by the end of September and the rest of the paperwork by the end of November, putting me on the referral list in December. With a wait time of 5 months, that gives me an April referral, July court date, September '09 travel--if I make it before the courts close. If not, that could be an October court date and December '09 travel. In all likelihood I am not going to be a mom before 2010 and that now seems very, very far away. In fact, at this point, it even seems at times that it isn't ever going to happen. It's almost hard to imagine it at all with all these twists and turns my journey has taken me. But it remains one of the only things that I have always known that I have wanted in my life so I just have to continue to have faith that it is all going to work out.
Thankfully, most of my friends and family know it is going to happen somehow and are supportive of my journey to motherhood and I am grateful for that. I even have a couple of other single friends come to me for advice in the past month about how to begin this motherhood process (somehow I have become the local expert on sperm donation, IUI, adoption, single parenthood, etc. and I by no means am since I have done none of the above) but it's so wonderful to have support in this journey and others who are experiencing the same things that I am. I put a little reminder on my bathroom mirror last week to keep me focused and remind me that it is eventually all going to work out. I am going to get a great job and bring my baby home!!
Eating at Jaleo's with my parents. Yum-my. Love tapas! (and the sangria was good, too!)
Listening to my mom read to me from her new book. This will be her ninth children's book!
I refused to any housework. Look at the laundry pile waiting for me to fold!
Dancing at the bbq. The barbecue that Andrea invited me to was so cool. There was a live band! I have never been to a barbecue with music. So much fun!




3 comments:
What a fabulous week you have had. Congratulations Godmommy two times around! Friends are awesome!
Hi,
It was good to find you, too. I guess it must have been through Hazel's blog, but I didn't think it was. I've tried to find ou another way, and I guess that must be it! I will be praying for you to get a solid job, so you can work on getting your baby home.
Hey - I haven't touched base in a while - don't know if you will remember me. I'm in the process of adopting from Vietnam.
This post spoke to me - because I too am still waiting to be a mother. My adoption has hit all kinds of snags and I don't actually know if it is going to work yet. If not - I will have to start over. It's hard to have faith sometimes.
I'll keep you in my thoughts. If you want to be invited to my blog - send me an email at Linnaea1@yahoo.com
Jennifer
Post a Comment