10.04.2008

i'm going green

yup.
i care about the environment.
and i need to save $.
so this week i have found three ways to do my part in reducing my carbon footprint.

1. I normally carry a 32oz plastic water bottle to work. Besides the obvious fact that it's reusable, I like that it has the measurements on the side so I automatically know how much water I've drunk. I rarely finish it all in the course of one day, though, which I am working on because I really should be filling it up a second time. Actually, all it does now I guess is remind me of how poorly I am doing at getting enough water. Heh. But I still think it's a good idea to be reminded and have the water accessible, so I continue to take it to work. There are drawbacks to this water bottle, though. It doesn't close because there's a straw in the top so it spills if it tips over and it doesn't keep my drinks cold. I also wonder if it's BPA-free. So I did some research today and decided to buy a Klean Kanteen® water bottle. I think buying the gigantic 40 oz. one might have been a mistake though, now that I think about it. I doubt I'll drink that much water before I leave work and I won't want to leave it in my classroom like I do with the other one. But I like that it's made out of stainless steel and will keep my water cold for hours.

2. I am getting better about not getting plastic bags at the grocery store and I am hopeful that I have now found a way to avoid the paper ones as well. Look at this great, super functional, Earth-friendly ACME Bags™ - EarthTote™ Reusable Shopping Bag. I ordered two of them. I can't wait to start using them. (Gotta remember to keep 'em in my car!)






3. And finally, there is the ever-annoying task of packing a lunch every day while trying to avoid excessive use of zip lock bags. I have been known to pack some grapes in one bag, cookies in another, sandwich in another, veggies in another and then tossing all four bags into a gallon-sized zip lock. How awful is that? But then I read about Lunchsense. I love it and have been waiting to get a job so I could justify ordering it. Well that day has come!

So you see? I am being more Earth-conscious, will be eating healthier and getting all my water. I can't wait for everything to arrive!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

This is good to hear! Now you and I just need to convince the rest of the world to do the same! I have recently renewed my commitment to the planet, by trying to buy things with less packaging. The result: more baking and fresh produce (yum!) and bigger pants (boo!). I'm working on self-control, because I think I'm on the right track.

Robbin Hopkins said...

I love the steps you are taking. I always take my bags, no longer buy bottle water and of course changed all my light bulbs. As a bummer (I guess...) I drive a Hummer. yep the big one! LOL. Gotta work on that, its a lease. I will have to post about that one day lol. I really like the water bottle you purchased. Now you just have to figure out how to reuse the old one.....


Robbin

trice said...

Hi Soror,

I tried to sign your guest book, but i'm blog challenged and couldn't figure the darn thing out. SKEE-WEE!!!!!!!