'You have family?' That is a phrase you hear a lot here. I have been guilty of uttering those exact words in the past weeks. When someone asks a child if they have a family or when a child tells me he has a family, the understanding is she is talking about an American family. You also see kids wearing T-shirts that say in large caps 'so and so HAS A FAMILY!!!' The kids here talk about family a lot and are eager to share with you what state they will be moving to and ask you questions about the weather there or about the states where we live. They are excited to show you their albums with pictures of their moms, dads, siblings, church, bedroom, etc. It's great that so many kids are placed for adoption through this agency and I share in the happiness of those who are matched with an American family. With over 4 million orphans in Ethiopia, any child who makes it to America is beating the odds and getting an opportunity for quite a different life experience.
This week, though, I really internalized what an incredible sacrifice adoption is on birth families and how many mixed emotions the children have about getting a family. You see, it wasn't until living here in Addis and getting to know these kids that I realized that many of them have families, Habesha families, who they love and miss. Sure, they are excited to get to America and have their own rooms and the stability of a healthy family unit, but they are also scared. They verbalize worries about food, school, siblings, missing Ethiopia, not liking where they end up, etc. But what I hadn't really understood was how many still have families that they have to leave behind and how hard it must be on these kids to know that getting an American family means perhaps never seeing their Habesha family again. No family should have to make that sacrifice and no child should have to say good-bye to their parents simply because they do not have the means to take care of them any longer.
Earlier this week one of the girls got a visit from her Habesha mother and grandmother. The older women, dressed up in what was probably their finest clothing, sat proud and strong as they met with the little girl, about ten. It was one of the most poignant and heart wrenching experiences I have ever had. These lovely women were painfully thin and I could see a hollow sadness in their eyes. They could barely muster a smile as they sat quietly chatting with this darling girl, for what will no doubt be one of the last times. I was only in the room with them for moment while another volunteer took some photos but the scene brought tears to my eyes and seeing them made me question for the first time if adoption really is an answer for older children with healthy relatives. This girl's mother may be sick, but what about parents who are healthy but just struggling to make ends meet? When did giving your children up for adoption in order to survive become an acceptable solution to poverty? I could see how sad they were --all three of them-- and it was heartbreaking.
The question 'Do you a family?' isn't one I ask anymore. And seeing the T-shirts declaring the child has a family now make me cringe. I guess it's the arrogance or the superiority that comes across that getting an American family is a blessing and the child should be thankful. On one hand this is absolutely true; but I hope that APs understand when they adopt older children that no matter how grateful they may be to be in America, they are suffering from grief and loss from being separated from their first family who they remember and love. It is critical to honor the child's first family and keep him connected to his first culture. Being Ethiopian is something of which all these children are extremely proud and that absolutely needs to be respected and valued.
~~~~~ I started this entry last week and I have an update which gives this entry a happier ending. That same little girl was informed today that she 'got a family'. I will say that her eyes shined more brightly than I have ever seen them and she hugged us all upon hearing the news. She was genuinely happy. As it turns out, the family who adopted her didn't realize she existed when they adopted her little sister last year but are now working on bringing her into the family. She will be reunited with her sister sometime in 2009.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 comments:
Thank you so much for writing this. I came to the realization many months ago about how my happiness about my adoption would mean sadness and fear for the children. I continually pray for the families that find themselves in a heartbreaking situation where they believe the best option is to leave their children with strangers that will take them to a strange land never to see or hear from them again. I am amazed at their faith, strength, and courage. Thanks again, this was well said.
I can’t believe you are in Ethiopia! How cool. I haven’t gotten to read everything yet, but I wanted to post you a note. I hope that you can get this (thru your email) while in Ethiopia. So, are you back with Gladney now that you aren’t moving? Did I read correctly, you aren’t moving overseas anymore? Please update me… I must know! ☺ SO glad that you are getting a chance to see Ethiopia and I totally respect your decision to go do work there. AMAZING.
Take Care.
Anne
PS-Go see the Sheraton if you haven’t yet ☺
That is indeed a happy ending! But I can definitely feel your concern in your writing. Is adoption always the answer, esp. when the parents are still alive and healthy? My only hope is that the adoptive family keeps the Ethiop. parents alive and well in the everyday lives of their children. Give them an opportunity to keep the lines of communication open. I cringe when I think of siblings (from any country and even the US) being adopted separately.
~Tasha
One of the hardest parts of my week in Addis was the coffee ceremony at the end of the week where the older children say good-bye to the ones being adopted. It is heartbreaking to know that those kids remember their Ethiopian families, and are grieving that loss. On top of that, they are saying good-bye to the children who have found new families, while they are still waiting. When I talk about what my daughter lost through adoption, many people are quick to cut me off with a, “but she has such a wonderful life now.” It is not a BUT, it is an AND. Yes, we have a wonderful life together, but that happiness coexists with the losses she has endured. It does not negate them.
~ Tracey
Thank you for this post. I think adoptive families often lose sight of what has to happen in order for our children to come into our lives. The idea that any child who has living family members would be denied the ability to maintain relationships with those people breaks my heart, and I often get upset at the sense of “entitlement” that comes across from some AP’s.
With your permission, I would love to link to this entry from my blog www.ethicaladoptions.blogspot.com
Sure Jayme, that'd be great! :-D
Thank you so much for sharing this story. I read your blog with some much interest, looking for clues to the reality of life in Ethiopia. I often feel challenged by the ideas surrounding adoption and children leaving their birth families. I too cringe at tee shirts that seem to exploit the very children that are wearing them...
Again, thank you for your honesty...
This is a great post. What a hard reality. It's not right that adoption is seen as a solution to poverty. You are in a unique position to start to see it before adopting. I hope you keep writing about your experience.
Post a Comment