5.07.2010

ER

OK, so that was scary. Around 1 a.m. Almi woke up screaming out. She often cries in her sleep but this was louder and woke her up. She was in pain. I picked her up and she was extremely hot to the touch. I thought she might be running a fever but her ears were still cool. I read somewhere that if your ears are still cool you aren't running a fever but she seemed extremely hot so I looked for the baby thermometer. I put it under her arm and it read 100.8. I figured I could give her some Infant Tylenol or Motrin, both of which I have, but they had recently been recalled. So what should I do if I couldn't give her medicine? I looked on the internet and it said I could give her a sponge bath. I brought a warm washcloth into bed and tried that but she was very uncomfortable. So I called a friend. One without kids. What was I thinking? He was no help. So I called my neighbor. She has a 3 year old. But she didn't pick up her home phone or her cell. So I called my doctor. I felt a bit silly actually but she also was having a lot of trouble breathing and, frankly, I was worried.

The pediatrician called me right back and told me to get some generic brand of acetaminophen, but if the breathing didn't improve to take her in to urgent care. It was 1:30 in the morning and I couldn't send hubby out to get the meds (damn, where the hell is he??) so I packed up my sick little girl and took her with me to CVS. Poor thing. I gave her some and she went back to sleep. She woke up a few more times in the night crying out but slept fairly well, considering.

Around 6:45am she woke up crying again and I took her temperature again. It had come down to 99.8 but her breathing was no better so I took her to urgent care at Children's Hospital. Would you believe they weren't open? Wouldn't you expect urgent care at a hospital to be open 24 hours? Well, they're not. They keep business hours: 8-4. It was 7:25. I was exhausted so I asked the guard if I was reading the hours right. I was, but he suggested I take her to the emergency room triage to see if they'd admit her since there wasn't one single patient in there. I didn't think it was an emergency but they had the staffing and the time to examine her. They actually did go ahead and admit her (as an outpatient) once they heard her breathing. One thing I hadn't thought about was the co-pay. It's $50 in the emergency room but she's worth it. She was diagnosed with croup, given some steroids and they sent us on our way.

She's doing better now, though still cranky and wanting to be held non-stop, but she's eating like a champ and back to her mischievous antics so I am no longer terribly concerned.

11 comments:

Ramona said...

Ugggh- croup is scary! Breathing issues always are and especially when your kids can't talk yet to explain anything! I'm glad you went in.

my blog link is http://fairflower.blogspot.com

Hope you catch up on your sleep and have everyone healthy again soon!

Ramona

Jebena said...

L, sorry this had to happen to you and at night; however, I'm so glad to know that both of you are going to be okay!

PS...yeah,on the real, you need to have a long, serious talk with that hubby of yours--he probally was working overtime making that co-pay money!!!

InventingLiz said...

Glad she's feeling better! Elfe was sick this past week too, high fever and vomiting. It's so scary because they can't really explain what they're feeling even when they can talk...

Rachael said...

Glad to know Almi is okay!

Anonymous said...

Stressful! I'm so glad she's on the mend.

Stefanie

kn said...

Oh sweetie, how horrible. I'm happy she's better. Keep watching her and if her breathing does anything funny take her right away to the emergency room. Seriously. I'm e-mailing you my phone number and I am on call 24 hours. I mean it - she's sick in the middle of the night - you call. I'm probably up anyway.

btw - the husband - you would have to have a huge argument to get him out the door in the middle of the night and it wouldn't be worth it. the husband's, they're good for a lot of stuff but that...well...trust me, not so good.

Anonymous said...

Very scary indeed! Our daughter had croup last fall so we're all too familiar with that horrible sound. Hope she's feeling better.
L. Galloway

Adopting1Soon said...

After I brought Charlie home from her hospital stay, my cousin congratulated me and told me "You've passed Mommyhood Test # 2617: 'ER Visit'."

So congratulations mama!

And Happy Mother's Day to us :-)! Yay!

Shawn said...

Oh I hope baby girl feels better soon! Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Almaz is feeling better.

Happy 1st Mother's Day, Laura!!

Sen

Catherine said...

So glad to hear your little sweetie is ok. It really is scary and even more so when we're on our own.

I just returned from a trip to the pharmacy to pick up generic fever meds for my sweetie too. Called Grandpa who willingly came and sat in the car with my sick baby as it was pouring rain and I hated the thought of her getting wet. So thankful for family and friends who are so willing to step in and help us when we need it.

Sure hope her croup is better and that it doesn't return.